Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
srbordenstein
Registered Users
seller

Urine buildup?

Our diapers don't smell at all coming out of the wash, but as soon as my daughter wets a diaper it leaves a horrendous smell. It doesn't happen with sposies, so I know it is from the diapers. Could this be urine build-up? If so, any washing tips for getting rid of and preventing smells? Thanks!

Advertisement

srbordenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Urine buildup?

They are most likely still dirty. The solution would be to do what you would normally do for heavily soiled laundry. Perhaps more detergent, stronger detergent, disinfectant etc.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hotter water, oxygen bleach, maybe more or different detergent. What is your wash routine, what is your water type, and your detergent?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
srbordenstein
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for your advice! I have a front loader (ugh!) and was using bumgenius cloth diaper powder. I have hard water. I did a "normal" cycle with pre-wash, hot water, extra spin and heavy soil settings. I switched to All F&C liquid when the smell started. I think my problem may have been the "pre-wash" - I think it was using my detergent. So... I've now switched to:

1. 30-min quick cycle with cold water (no detergent)
2. Normal cycle with hot water, heavy soil setting and a extra spin.
3. Tide F&C powder detergent

Hopefully that works! If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to try them out.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
srbordenstein
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for your advice! I have a front loader (ugh!) and was using bumgenius cloth diaper powder. I have hard water. I did a "normal" cycle with pre-wash, hot water, extra spin and heavy soil settings. I switched to All F&C liquid when the smell started. I think my problem may have been the "pre-wash" - I think it was using my detergent. So... I've now switched to:

1. 30-min quick cycle with cold water (no detergent)
2. Normal cycle with hot water, heavy soil setting and a extra spin.
3. Tide F&C powder detergent

Hopefully that works! If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to try them out.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are you putting detergent in the hot wash?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

we t pail.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Mandan914
Registered Users
seller

You most likely need to use more detergent, Try running them through a couple hot hot washes no detergent, or buy some RLR and use that with the hot wash to help breakdown the buildup. What I do is this:
1 Hot Heavy Duty High spin wash with 1 line scoop of tide powder. then I do a Hot normal wash no detergent but 15 drops of (GSE Grapfruite Seed Extract) to kill any bacteria/anything growing, then I do a cold rinse.

newborns, infants, toddler, nights during pting
www.softbums.com
Mandan914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama you need a disinfectant of some kind like bleach or oxy and I think that with your new wash routine should cure your problem.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

I also didn't notice you mentioning doing an extra rinse (unless that's what you mean by "extra spin"). It's very important to make sure all the soap is rinsed out.

I do a short cold wash with vinegar, a long hot wash/cold rinse with detergent and oxy, finishing with a short hot wash/cold rinse with vinegar but no detergent to get them fully rinsed.

Good luck!
AHASRADA is offline   Reply With Quote