Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
tnhoover
Registered Users
seller

Re: Favorite sandwich bread recipe thats easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
I haven't, since I don't have a bread machine. If I remember correctly though, I've heard that this dough works fine if you prep it in the bread machine but bake it in the oven (in the right size pan).
Thanks for the tip! Made this yesterday - and it worked great mixing in the bread machine! I read a tip on the website about putting orange juice in the mixture with less water. The bread tastes great - but I guess we're just not used to whole wheat. I might have to try this for next time.

Advertisement

tnhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
tnhoover
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
This one also good. Closet to store brand but its not 100% whole wheat. http://bakingbites.com/2011/02/no-kn...andwich-bread/ . best thing is that its quick- comparatively speaking. Only take an hour including baking vs the usually 2 hours or rise time plus baking. I have been meaning to try heating the flour in my other recipes to see if I get a quick rise in all the recipes.
I will add this to the list of bread to try as well!
tnhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM
This is the sandwich bread recipe I use. I've made it so many times that I can practically make it with my eyes closed. It's whole wheat and I make it with my KA mixer.
I just made this, and Oh.My.Word it's Sooo good! I didn't have any powdered milk, so I used 1/4 ap flour and used almond milk for 1/2 the liquid. I seriously could eat the whole loaf!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl75 View Post
I just made this, and Oh.My.Word it's Sooo good! I didn't have any powdered milk, so I used 1/4 ap flour and used almond milk for 1/2 the liquid. I seriously could eat the whole loaf!

I'm so glad! We love it too!!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

I was just coming on here to say the exact same thing! This is the best I've ever had a loaf of bread turn out! I didn't have powdered milk either so I actually just left it out completely, still using the same amount of water and flour. It turned out perfect! The only other part of the recipe I didn't follow was to cool completely before slicing; I couldn't resist a warm slice of homemade bread.

ETA: All this time I had been dumping my dough onto the counter to knead by hand and didn't know if I just left it in the K.A. it would knead it for me. *shakes head* So double thank you to the one who posted the recipe!

Last edited by nannorie85; 03-03-2013 at 04:13 PM.
nannorie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just dumped it all in the bread maker and let it do the hard part, lol. I baked it in the oven though, and I'll never go back to baking in the bread maker. It's so much better baked in the oven.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
lisa0842
Registered Users
seller

These recipes sound great! Can't wait to try them. But is there a secret to slice the bread evenly? I don't think I could slice bread thin enough
lisa0842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #18
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa0842 View Post
These recipes sound great! Can't wait to try them. But is there a secret to slice the bread evenly? I don't think I could slice bread thin enough
The only secret I know is to keep a finger on the end. So the knife is is under the hump of your finger. It doesn't help so much in having all slices the same size, but it does help the piece itself stay nice and even. And cut smaller then you think you should. For some reason when cutting what looks like a nice slice size its always bigger when its cut- and no I am nut cutting it bigger then I planned. You can lightly score the top before you cut it to map out your pieces too.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I wrote a post about how to slice bread.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I omitted the milk and added ground flax in the same amount. I am GF, but DH and kiddos loved it! Now to perfect a ww tortilla recipe......