Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to FF at hospital after birth?

Just to add--I know several women who had to return to work within a few weeks of birth and chose not to BF for that reason. Colostrum on a bottle nipple or pacifier worked for all of them and expressing it did not cause their milk to come in. Breasts are really pretty supply and demand; if you don't regularly put the baby to your breast or pump, it's not likely you will have enough in there to be uncomfortable.

Advertisement

anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much for all the replies. I really appreciate it. It's a great idea to bring some RTF bottles of the formula I want just in case. I think I'll do that.
I'm having twins and have a very clear medical reason not to breastfeed so hopefully they won't give me too much trouble. It's really a shame that no matter what you do about BF/FF someone out there will try and make you feel bad about it.
ilovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

sorry ...double post

Last edited by ilovemygirl; 02-15-2013 at 06:50 AM.
ilovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

They should also have milk free formula too if you think your babies might have a dairy allergy. I BF but always gave some formula at the hospital to help them poop out the meconium. My milk always took too long to come in and my babies were hungry. We used the disposible nipples and ready to use soy formula they had.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
mophie40
Registered Users
seller

I had my LO in September and my hospital was very pushy about bfing. I actually had all intentions of bfing, but I was over tired and had barely any support from my pedi and family. The hospital pretty much gave me a lecture on bfing and made me call a nurse every time I needed formula. They give you the nursettes with disposable nipple and ring. They went off of a list to see what the pedi recommends. So for me it was enfamil or similac. We ended up switching to organic parents choice. It is really up to you if you want to try a certain brand with LO, but for the first few weeks rtf is the easiest since you don't need to wash anything.
mophie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
the best thing to do is call and ask
Each hospital is different. The one near me DOES NOT provide formula, formula samples, bottles, etc. They do not have any formula. (Yes, really!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaVB View Post
Mine had ready to use formula and disposable nipples provided but only offered one brand.
This was mine. You either used similac which they provided or your own.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I tried to BF all of mine but most of them ended up being FFd. All of my kids needed some suplimentation at the hospital.

One tip I picked up - SAVE your "throw" away bottles and the nipple rings! (The nipples themselves don't hold up to being boiled but the rings you can keep and you WILL need them ) The bottles are glass so they can be boiled at home later and they are the perfect little size until baby moves up to bigger bottles.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia

Each hospital is different. The one near me DOES NOT provide formula, formula samples, bottles, etc. They do not have any formula. (Yes, really!)
That's really difficult to believe. What if mom has serious complications and can't BF, or god forbid dies during or after birth?

What about all the babies in the NICU? Parents provide their own formula from outside the hospital?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor

That's really difficult to believe. What if mom has serious complications and can't BF, or god forbid dies during or after birth?

What about all the babies in the NICU? Parents provide their own formula from outside the hospital?
I would be screwed at that hospital!! I don't have breasts due to breast cancer. That can't be right. They might "encourage" breast feeding, but there has to be formula available? Are you in the US? Our hospital only gives one brand option, but they do have it........
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote