Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi!
I am ready to wean my 19 month old but she clearly is not interested. I have been going about this the wrong way I think. She can go throughout the day without nursing (except at nap and bedtime) BUT wants to nurse throughout the night. I need to sleep and want her to as well. I am no longer interested in BFing mainly because she is so demanding and rough about it. She will pull my shirt down and yell "booby now". Also, I have a 4 year old and I think the 19 month old manipulates me into bf'ing her and not tending to her sister.
Please be kind and supportive. This is a sensitive issue. I have a very hard time watching her get so upset over not nursing but its clear that this system is not working for our family. Kind responses, please and thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by Lolobug; 03-04-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
AndersonMomma<3
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do we start this process?

I'm in a similar boat, Mama. I wish I had some advice but I'm just starting the process, too. Mainly because I'm expecting #2 and and #1 still nurses 4 times a day, regularly (at 20 months old.) I don't want to totally wean him just yet but I do want to cut down some and I don't know how. I've tried replacing it with other types of milk and he gets very upset and says "No! Momma's milk!" My friend's mother told me she put band-aids on herself and said they were broken. Although I'm not one to lie to my kids... maybe a little white lie wouldn't be so bad?
AndersonMomma<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

You've done a great job, Mama! 19 months is a huge accomplishment.

I would recommend putting a bandaid over each nipple, and next time she asks to nurse, tell her Sorry- nursies are broken (or have owies- whatever you feel she will understand best)! Then redirect- ask her if she wants to snuggle the nursies.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am working on the same thing with DS2, who is 21 months. He was only nursing before nap and before bed at night. I started going back to school at night in January so DH had to put him to bed, so he didn't have much of a choice. He didn't give DH any problems. On the nights I was home he would pull at my shirt and I would just tell him no sweetie. Lets snuggle instead. He gave in pretty easily. He is still nursing before nap and I think that will be the hardest to get him to give up.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonMomma&lt View Post
I'm in a similar boat, Mama. I wish I had some advice but I'm just starting the process, too. Mainly because I'm expecting #2 and and #1 still nurses 4 times a day, regularly (at 20 months old.) I don't want to totally wean him just yet but I do want to cut down some and I don't know how. I've tried replacing it with other types of milk and he gets very upset and says "No! Momma's milk!" My friend's mother told me she put band-aids on herself and said they were broken. Although I'm not one to lie to my kids... maybe a little white lie wouldn't be so bad?
This made me chuckle thx for the support, really appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you everyone! I'm not 100% sure I want her to wean entirely, I just need her to be considerate if she could be discrete and not abuse the privilege I would LOVE to continue until she just lost interest. I guess that's it, I just want her to want to stop
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolobug View Post
Thank you everyone! I'm not 100% sure I want her to wean entirely, I just need her to be considerate if she could be discrete and not abuse the privilege I would LOVE to continue until she just lost interest. I guess that's it, I just want her to want to stop
Maybe teach her the sign for milk- and tell her to get milk, she has to use the sign- make it a game- a secret sign- just for her and you- which will also help if she's doing it for attention?

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote