Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ouch! Sorry mama! That would be hard to use again.

The worst I've done making this was cutting myself with an xacto or box knife. And I've scraped quite a bit of skin off with rough sandpaper.

The worst thing wasn't crafting but cooking...I grated my finger with a micro plane...twice! Not sure I've used it since :/

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Have you ever severely injured yourself while crafting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I've cut myself pretty severely with a rotary cutter. I also sewed through my finger (the needle broke off into my thumb), but I was on some pretty heavy duty painkillers when I did that. The bottle said no heavy machinery, but I was like, "okay, the sewing machine only weighs like 12 pounds. It'll be fine." Clearly this was my logic after the pain pills had already kicked in. Oops. It was interesting trying to explain my logic to the doctor. On the plus side, I already had painkillers in my system.

Is it bad that I laughed out loud at that?

No, I have not severely injured myself while crafting. My DH did...he cut off the tip of his finger wood working. It wasn't a lot, but it obviously hurt like heck.

My 4 yr old tried to sew through her finger when she was playing with the machine when she wasn't supposed to.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am just waiting for the day I sew through my finger.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

I've cut myself with the rotary cutter more times than I care to count. Those blades go right through a fingernail like butter.
I've had several needles break and fly up and hit my face/eyes and I did see over my finger tip a few weeks ago. Hurt like the devil.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

I burn myself with the iron once every couple of months. The last time was the worst, my skin peeled off and was raw and oozy for about two weeks, and is still not all the way healed. I have scars up and down my arms lol.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
jessreichenbach
**DO NOT B/S/T WITH THIS USER***

My Mood:

Speaking of pain killers... I was SO shocked that they told me to take ibuprofen or tylenol to help with pain... SERIOUSLY?! The nurse said, and I quote, "The doctor stitched it back on pretty good so it shouldn't hurt as bad by tomorrow"

when the press came down it "de-gloved" my finger, meaning it basically took everything right off the bone so it was exposed. Broke the tip of the bone right off and popped off my fingernail all in one shot. I really could have used pain killers for a couple days after that!

I'm still very nervous with the press, just the sound of it makes my heart pound!
Trainers
Diaper making Business liquidation
jessreichenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessreichenbach View Post
Speaking of pain killers... I was SO shocked that they told me to take ibuprofen or tylenol to help with pain... SERIOUSLY?! The nurse said, and I quote, "The doctor stitched it back on pretty good so it shouldn't hurt as bad by tomorrow"

when the press came down it "de-gloved" my finger, meaning it basically took everything right off the bone so it was exposed. Broke the tip of the bone right off and popped off my fingernail all in one shot. I really could have used pain killers for a couple days after that!

I'm still very nervous with the press, just the sound of it makes my heart pound!
Wow! That sounds scary!
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
BBBmOm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yikes momma!

I sewed completely through a finger (nail and all...ouch) and it jammed my machine. I was really ok at that point bc my adrenaline was through the roof. It was around 3am, and I maybe had a bit too much wine (just maybe lol) and so I was in the kitchen, and my DH was asleep at the other end of the house. I was STUCK. I had to completely disassemble my drive to get the needle out of the machine (safety feature had locked it) then I had to get up the courage the remove the needle from my finger once i was free from the machine. I had no pain until I did that....and oh my lord....after I stopped shaking it was burning so bad that I finally looked at it and the frigging thread was still through my finger....yup then more pain pulling that out. It didn't even leave a cool scar or anything, or bend the needle for that matter!!! Overall not a good night.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
jessreichenbach
**DO NOT B/S/T WITH THIS USER***

My Mood:

YES! Adreniline was my friend when this happened!! I felt no pain for a while. I went upstairs, calmly and quietly told my husband i got my finger with the press... he asked to see it (over the sink) I showed him and he said.... OK... we have to go to the hospital (very calmly as all 4 of our very young kids were right in the room and we didn't want to scare them)I still felt no pain but i did feel ALLL the warmth leave my face, got very dizzy and had to just sit in the middle of the kitchen floor because I thought for sure I was going to pass out or throw up... or both. It didn't start to hurt until we got to the hospital about 30 minutes after it happened. The the adrenaline ran out and it sucked!!
But its funny what you will unconsiously do for the sake of your children in various situations. My main concern was not scaring them, I was trying to act as non-chalent as possible. so as i was fighting to not pass out I was simply giving them direction on "behave while Grammy is here, help out with your little brother, just because I'm not going to be here doesn't mean you get out of doing your chores" lol! Its kinda funny to think that those were my concerns while my finger was hanging off!
Trainers
Diaper making Business liquidation
jessreichenbach is offline   Reply With Quote