Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to pt when not at home

yeah i mean dd can speak very well and can tell us when she has to go, but she usually just does it on her own when we're at home. i definitely think she is mentally ready to do it.

i feel like mentally i'm prepared to clean up some accidents while we're out thinking that she'll eventually (sooner rather than later-hopefully) get the idea of telling us when she has to go. i might be naive in this sense. we'll see though!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

You might be surprised at how well she will do while out. Just watch for squirminess and pay attention when she hasn't gone for a while and she might be distracted ny a fun activity and forget to tell you. We also go when we arrive and before we leave somewhere.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just did our first outings to friends (2) this weekend and our first outing public this morning. DD is going commando at home for the last 5 days, and has only had one (poop) accident this morning which was my fault as I should have known it was time to insist on the potty after breakfast.

For our first outings (to friends' houses) I brought along her little bjorn potty chair in a large handled grocery bag along with some cloth wipes to dry it out with once rinsed. We don't have waterproof trainers yet, so I told her we would use a 'tinkle trainer' and I just threw a padfolded flat in a Grovia cover as those are the trimmest we have and she would feel it if she peed. That way I could also bring along simply a few extra flats and they weren't bulky or even diaper like as she is used to BG4.0s for diapers. She did great - over the course of 2 days and 2 different social visits she only wet twice in the flat, and that was just a small miss she noticed and then held, we got to the potty 98% on time.

Today she insisted on wearing her big girl underwear (Hanna Anderson XS non waterproof trainers) and although we were going to the library I said "why not" as I think consequences are also good learning experiences for her. I just threw a thirsties duo over the underpants for the car ride with a small mf insert and made sure we hit the potty just before leaving and again once we got there, and again before leaving the library. She did great - because they fed the kids juice at the library, she just had one small "miss" as we pulled into our driveway which she told me about and then held it until we got upstairs.

Of course, I'm initiating most of the potty visits now but she's telling me "yes" or "no" if she has to go and is always right.

Essentials for the littlest ones PL'ing on the road are a small potty chair or a seat reducer, some prefolds or cloth wipes to wipe it out with, a wetbag or plastic bag for dirty/wet items, an extra pair of pants, a waterproof training pant or underpants with a thick crotch and a cover to go over.

Best of luck!
piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks. i tried yesterday at my mom's house. she had accident after accident after accident. i guess it's not fair because her cousin was there and she was playing iwth him the whole time. and this was the first day she had to wear her underwear instead of bottomless. i think she hasn't distinguised between her diaper and underwear. and then i was putting a dappi cover overtop her underwear and she says "mama, diaper" so i think she must be really confused. then, when we got home, she still had a diaper on (for the car ride-knew she'd fall asleep), she said "Potty!" and dh asked if she had to go and she said yes and he took her diaper off and she sat down and went potty.

i just really felt defeated yesterday. she had 3 days of no accidents when bottomless so i thought she was ready. i just really felt defeated.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nbert921 - It is so exhausting PL'ing - I can completely relate!

But she sounds like your DD is making the connection between needing to go and using the potty. She just needs to translate that to outside of the home - that will be its own transition / learning experience. It's true though, when going commando transitioning to any kind of cover over the bottom is confusing. My DD is the same way- but DH is soooo scared to let her go in panties or commando outside the house so he keep slapping the diaper on her, even though I tell him its going to set her back! Eventually, they all PL, so I guess that is a note of hope...
piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think she's doing just fine. Remember, she's been in diapers for nearly two years so she's not going to "get it" in just three days. I agree with above poster- it is exhausting to PT! Celebrate the successes, even if they are little ones. My DS2 (25 mo) sometimes has accidents in his undies, but recently I've been affirming all the big boy things he can do (take dishes to the sink, help load laundry, flush the toilet, and ultimately go pee and poops in the potty) which has helped him to gain confidence in his abilities to go potty. Keep going mama! She will eventually know how to go potty outside of the home with more practice!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
ljustice1968
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used pull-up diapers when we went out, just in case, but went potty right before leaving the house. Anytime a grown-up went potty at the store/restaurant my DS/DD got the chance to go also. Also used the Potette you mentioned and we loved it. Fit right into my giant mommy bag. Actually I should offer it on the FSOT...hmmm.

Anyway I agree with Nerissa about not stressing and not pushing the child until they are ready. There's nothing going to ruin a dinner out or an outing like having to stop and clean up a messy wet child AND carseat/restaurant booth/airplane seat(!)
ljustice1968 is offline   Reply With Quote