Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

three year old potty accidents

My newly turned three year old DS has had a string of accidents peeing his pants. Two at night and one during the day over the past four days. He has been potty trained/learned for over a year. He hasnt had an accident in... 5 or 6 months! Do you think I should just chalk it up to "he is still young" or look into it more?

We have had a lot of changes lately and I worry this is a result. He isnt showing stress in any other way so it makes me wonder if this is his way. I am certainly stresssed (not about the accidents but life in general).

Advertisement

RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Is he pooping ok? I've read constipation can lead to accidents? But certainly could be stress of changes manifesting.
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: three year old potty accidents

DD1 went through a stage where she seemed otherwise fine, but had a lot of accidents about this time last year. We were being evicted (LONG story), I was very ill and pregnant, and her sister arrived a month later. She was 4. It got better as time went on and she adjusted to the changes.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Meg. I know you guys have had a ton of changes in the past month and I'm guessing that's what it's all about.
Could be, too, that he's having a growth spurt or something, causing him to produce more urine and then not able to hold it as well? Or maybe he's trying to push himself and hold it, when he can't hold it that long, kwim?

I'd give it a bit... probably until after baby comes and you guys are back home and settled in... before I started really worrying about it or trying much to stop it, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 3.5 yo has weeks where she's prone to accidents then will go a few months without any problems at all. We don't make a big deal about it, have her help clean up, and move on.

Unless there's something else glaring, I would just chalk it up to age and call it a day.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

changes equal to reverti.ng a bit. my in laws moved with 2 & told me same. we moved sure enough my oldest now did started wetting & poo(not that poo was in potty yet).....
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
yukipr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I agree. It is probably related to stress. Remember that kids see life in a different way than adults, thus the response to stress and changes will be different. I will talk to him and see if he can express how he is feeling. Then, for your well being, maybe you might want to use those overnights. Another option is to put one of those barriers between the bed sheets and the mattress. That way, if he has another accident at least will be an easy clean up.
yukipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input. He is definitely starting to show other signs of stress (mainly clinging) so I dont doubt it was stress. He seems to be better with the accidents so i guess thats good.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote