Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
smveres
Registered Users

Adoption in Florida

Anyone familiar with adoption in FL? My husband and I are looking to start the process later this year. I was curious, the various adoption websites that list available children, those aren't ALL of the children available for adoption, are they? We aren't looking to adopt a baby, but wouldn't oppose it. And we aren't looking to adopt a older kid or teenager. We'd like the 18 month to 3 year old range, but I never see any children in that age range. Just curious. Is the first step to contact an adoption lawyer? Thank!!

Advertisement

smveres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Adoption in Florida

Are you looking at a private adoption or an adoption through foster care? Lawyers typically only do private adoptions and privately adopting a child who is older than a newborn that way is unusual. As for foster care adoption, you rarely are able to adopt a healthy child of those ages through a straight adoption as typically those children are adopted by their foster parents. It's not unheard of though and might be more possible in FL, but they don't have healthy 3-year-olds sitting around waiting to be adopted. They can have hundreds of home studies submitted for a child like that. Calling your county's department should give you more info of how it's done in your area as it's different everywhere.