Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
smveres
Registered Users

Decrease in formula intake

Hi! My 9.5 month old son was breastfeed for a little over 6 months and we've been on formula for 3 months. We use Gerber Good Start. Everything was going smoothly until a couple of weeks ago, and he just doesn't seem as interested. He takes an 8 ounce bottle in the morning around 8, and he will only drink a few ounces at noon and 4 when we feed him, and his bedtime bottle at 7:45ish is hit or miss. Sometimes he drinks the whole thing, sometimes he's not interested at all. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

smveres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Is he eating solids? Once my babies started eating baby food they would drink less formula.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Decrease in formula intake

I just went to my dd's 9 month visit (she's actually 10 months), and she said Juilet should be on 2 bottles per day, and getting the rest of her nutrition from solids. Juliet eats 3 meals and 3 snacks. I give her water in-between bottles. She was also breastfed until about 8 months, and is not all that interested in the bottle, so it's been an easy transition. It sounds like he's right on track.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Does he want a faster flow nipple?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmomma
I just went to my dd's 9 month visit (she's actually 10 months), and she said Juilet should be on 2 bottles per day, and getting the rest of her nutrition from solids. Juliet eats 3 meals and 3 snacks. I give her water in-between bottles. She was also breastfed until about 8 months, and is not all that interested in the bottle, so it's been an easy transition. It sounds like he's right on track.
2?? Wow. My DS will be 9 months old next month and takes 7-8 bottles a day still.

OP- I think it shows though that every baby is different. If you baby is happy and healthy consuming that quantity of formula, then go with it.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

9 months old and three meals/3 snacks/2 bottles is nuts!

At 9 mo they aren't supposed to rely on anything other than formula/BM for nutrition. As the saying goes, before 1 it's just for fun (solids).
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

First off - My 9 month old girl has also started showing disinterest in the bottle, for her it is because she is just so busy being busy she hates having to sit on my lap and have her bottles.

As for how much she eats, 5 bottles a day(5oz), plus three meals. I couldn't imagine only two bottles!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe he's ready to drop one of the mid-day feeds? My DD is 11 months and down to 3 bottles a day. From 9-10 months we did 4 a day, then recently she started not finishing her first mid-day bottle. We dropped it, but then she still wanted something for when she woke up and I started making yogurt fruit smoothies thinned with her formula. She gets a little cup of smoothie when she wakes up, then lunch and an hour later her afternoon bottle. She'll drink 6-8oz in a feeding.
delladea is offline   Reply With Quote