View Poll Results: Would you use donor milk from a mother who smokes cigarettes?
Yes! Breast milk is that important 14 11.20%
No! Cigarettes are that dangerous 91 72.80%
I would never use donor milk 16 12.80%
Other 4 3.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #71
ahoward89
Registered Users
seller

I would formula feed before using a smokers donor milk. Luckily, I've been able to breastfeed without any problems ( knocks on wood).

Advertisement

ahoward89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #72
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
I would cry long and hard
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #73
Noelregina
Registered Users

Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

I wouldn't use it from a smoker.
Noelregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #74
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes I would.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #75
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:

No,because I have the supply and my sisters don't smoke and I would not prefer to use strangers breast milk.
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #76
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I didn't and probably wouldn't use donor's milk at all and definitely not from a smoker. I gave DS every drop of breastmilk I could make (about 12-14 oz per day) and made up the extra 20-30 oz with formula.

I worked with LCs for months and did everything I could to get my supply up...I now know I have PCOS and IGT so will likely never be able to EBF. On a side note, from what I've read, inability to breastfeed isn't all that rare; it's somewhere between 5-10% of the population that will have some legitimate supply issue that's not poor breastfeeding management.

I agree with PP who said she would cry...I spent 7 months bawling over my non-functioning breasts, but I couldn't afford donor milk and wasn't really comfortable with feeding my child someone else's bodily fluids. Luckily, he did really well with formula and didn't have any allergies or intolerance issues.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #77
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
I didn't and probably wouldn't use donor's milk at all and definitely not from a smoker. I gave DS every drop of breastmilk I could make (about 12-14 oz per day) and made up the extra 20-30 oz with formula.

I worked with LCs for months and did everything I could to get my supply up...I now know I have PCOS and IGT so will likely never be able to EBF. On a side note, from what I've read, inability to breastfeed isn't all that rare; it's somewhere between 5-10% of the population that will have some legitimate supply issue that's not poor breastfeeding management.

I agree with PP who said she would cry...I spent 7 months bawling over my non-functioning breasts, but I couldn't afford donor milk and wasn't really comfortable with feeding my child someone else's bodily fluids. Luckily, he did really well with formula and didn't have any allergies or intolerance issues.

This is my story, too. Many tears were shed before I finally accepted what I had to do. My DD is now EFF (plus solids) and thriving!