Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is considered a larger family!?

We have three, and I don't consider us to be a big family. I think 6+ is pretty large. BIL is one of 14, and that is definitely big. He and his siblings are all close and fun to be with. They all loved growing up with that many kids.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
Krissyboo236
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in California suburbia, more than 4 is considered large, I think :/ My father is the youngest of 9, DF and I each have 1 sibling. Comparing the pros and cons of both experiences, we're settling with 3. I know for sure that when #3 rolls around, I'll be begging him for a 4th (A benefit of starting our family young, we could have a small army by the time my body called it quits!) I think it also depends on the spacing of children! Having 6 kids each 2 years apart would get some remarks, but having 6 kids spread out in age (From infant-teens) may not.
Is it just me who's very uncomfortable with the thought of people having another baby "just to get the other gender"?
Krissyboo236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #33
Dahlia64
Banned

It is really weird. People in my area think 3 kids is a big family? I would say 7 or more is a big family..IMHO!
Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have #5 on the way. And I do not think we are a large family. I think we're medium. I think if I had 7+ it would be large.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #35
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think we have a big family yet. My kids are DD 6, DS 4, DS2 2, and DD2 coming in June/July. People assume we are done because we have the "perfect family, 2 of each!" but they also said that after our first two.
I don't think my body can have a 5th with 2yr spacing like these four (I get hyperemesis), but I can't imagine being "done" yet. I will turn 30 in July. I think hubby may feel done after DD2 arrives but time will tell. Having little ones close-ish together has been a little stressful but I love that they are so close.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Haha, I always think people are crazy when they say we have a big family! I have four plus one on the way, and when people ask if we are "done" or "how many are you gonna have?!" I love to tell them, "Oh, we're just getting started!!" It's so true! I grew up with four siblings and so that seems totally normal...five kids is not a lot. We still fit in a van and had lives like everyone around us. I guess I know too many families with 10-12 kids to think we are "big" already!!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyboo236
Here in California suburbia, more than 4 is considered large, I think :/ My father is the youngest of 9, DF and I each have 1 sibling. Comparing the pros and cons of both experiences, we're settling with 3. I know for sure that when #3 rolls around, I'll be begging him for a 4th (A benefit of starting our family young, we could have a small army by the time my body called it quits!) I think it also depends on the spacing of children! Having 6 kids each 2 years apart would get some remarks, but having 6 kids spread out in age (From infant-teens) may not.
Is it just me who's very uncomfortable with the thought of people having another baby "just to get the other gender"?
YES!! That is seriously disturbing to me. But I guess it has been prevalent in cultures throughout the world for all time...mostly in gender selection against girls, though. I just can't imagine being disappointed with a child because he/she wasn't the "right" sex. :'( All babies are a gift from God!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #38
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+
In my opinion 6+ is a large family but it seems society thinks more than 1 is a lot!

When we had our 2nd EVERYONE under the sun was like "so you are done?"...that question makes my skin crawl, especially when its a complete stranger. Then our 3rd was a boy after 2 girls so everyones new line was "now you can stop you have your boy!" it is just so rude an annoying for anyone to give me their 2 cents about how many children my husband and i have, we have run into some wonderful people who are kind and say its great to have so many children but i feel like those people are few and far between...our family pretty much understands (finally, now that we have 4) that we want a big family and whatever is meant to happen, however many children we are lucky enough to have is how many we will have!
Yeah...I am amazed at how people feel like they can talk so openly about such personal family decisions and give their advice to you in line at the supermarket! Sometimes on days when I am frustrated with people, I just want to wear a shirt that says, "YES, they're all mine! YES, I know how that happens! YES, all on purpose! NO, I am not asking your advice! No, I don't care what you think! No, we don't live on government assistance and no I surely will never ask you to raise them!!!"
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #39
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley
Yeah.....welcolme to the people are gonna make stupid comments at you all the time club! I'm pregnant with my 6th and we haven't told many people,and not even my MIL because we just don't feel like hearing the comments. I have 5 girls,so you can only imagine the no. 1 comment...... I usually respond,(with a really straight face) I'm actually allergic to male fetuses) They just look at me like I'm nuts. Sometimes I have clever replies, sometimes I just smile,and sometimes I completely ignore them. Just depends on my mood. As people said.... 2 kids and a dog is sufficient now, the majority of people don't understand why "in this day and age" anyone would actually want the "financial and mental stress" of more. Priorities have changed so much. It use to be family, being a good mom and wife, and satisfied with having most of what you needed. Now it's giving those one or two kids everything you didn't have, that new car every 5 years, and paying for that 200 channel cable package.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
Yeah, it's so sad I kinda wish our society was more communal, like where we women could get together to do all our work and the kids could all play (constructively, outside, not with a bazillion electronic gadgets, etc...). Then we might support each other better in all this. I love this site and the encouragement here for mamas of all kinds!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 4 kids.. born in a span of 4 years and 9 months and people think I must be clinically insane for it. I am done having children, so I will only have 4.. but apparently around here 4 is a lot.