Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone do a 6 day school week?

I know from a biblical standpoint this is actually a good thing. However I haven't heard how this translates to non-biblical life.

I am coming up on about 4 weeks of no appointments. VERY RARE for me. DS is a bit behind where I would like him to be with his school work (we are doing school work a year early, but with Calvert there is an online component and I don't want to have to pay for another 6 months to use that). So I am considering going to a 6 day week for this time. However I don't want to burn out my son in the process.

He has been completing his lessons in 1-1.5 hours lately (Math, reading, science, computer time). I know that as things progress though, things may get harder for him though, and he may need to take more time. The rest of his day is unstructured except for he needs a nap everyday (he is up from 7-10 everyday, this is too long for a 4.5 year old without a nap). Am I nuts for considering this?

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone do a 6 day school week?

My 5yo craves structure and routine, so even on Saturdays I have learning activities for him. I'd say to give it a try and see how he does. If it starts to become too much then adjust.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

We are planning to set aside a couple hours on Saturdays for any work that doesn't get finished during the week. But that's next year (or, we might start in the summer) and ds will be 6 working through first grade.
Personally I think k work 6 days a week is too much for a 4.5 year old. But that's just my opinion. Ds started structured school at 4 and I've changed my view a bit, and I won't start dd on much until she's 5, even though she's very bright.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 03-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

If we have to many breaks due to appointments/emergencies and other disruptions we continue on into the 'weekend', which would be Friday for us. I don't really do classical semesters or weeks. I start the year early Aug. 1st, and do a summer intensive to make up for the disruptions. For the week we school M, T, W, TH, and Sat. We have Fri. off, and of course the kids do Sunday school at church. Friday and Sunday are the only days DH has off.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do try to work on the weekends when I have appointments, but for a while there it was at least twice a week, plus bed rests for transfers, and morning sickness. I know once I hit 30 weeks I will be back to going to the doctor twice a week. Next week I have 3 doctors appointments alone. DS is great for these appointments, but it really eats into our school time when you factor in DS nap, and I have 2 doctors that are 1 hour each way driving distance.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

This doesnt really answer your question but from a Biblical standpoint I think that children should spend Saturday preparing for the Sabbath - cleaning rooms, taking baths, picking out clothes, helping prepare food so you do not have to cook much the next day and can have all this done BEFORE the sun goes down on Saturday (the start of Sabbath). The bible tells us to prepare!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
We do try to work on the weekends when I have appointments, but for a while there it was at least twice a week, plus bed rests for transfers, and morning sickness. I know once I hit 30 weeks I will be back to going to the doctor twice a week. Next week I have 3 doctors appointments alone. DS is great for these appointments, but it really eats into our school time when you factor in DS nap, and I have 2 doctors that are 1 hour each way driving distance.
We do school in the waiting room of the Dr.'s office, but they don't know that Bwahaha! I bring a bag with school work for each of mine, usually light stuff, you know the workbook with colorful pages etc., like Brain Quest and the Critical Thinking ones. They pick up where they left off the last time. This also works well when we are having a bad day with my SN LO and he's being to much of a handful or having to many medical issues for me to be as hands on as I usually am.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
We do school in the waiting room of the Dr.'s office, but they don't know that Bwahaha! I bring a bag with school work for each of mine, usually light stuff, you know the workbook with colorful pages etc., like Brain Quest and the Critical Thinking ones. They pick up where they left off the last time. This also works well when we are having a bad day with my SN LO and he's being to much of a handful or having to many medical issues for me to be as hands on as I usually am.
That is a good idea. I think we would be able to do math when we are out in the waiting room. He is normally good with that. Maybe even reading. Then we can just do our checkpoints when we get home.