Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #31
jelliescat
Banned

Re: The Tale of a CD addict

I was a CD baby in the 70's my cousins were CD babies in the 80's and in 2003 when DS #1 was born he was a CD baby. Mothering.com and DiaperSwapers turned me into the addict from all the fluffy mail pics. Thats when the Hyena diaper phrase started and I was there for the opening day of Hyena cart with a custom wool longies purchase from oh shoot I can't remember... it was the lady who started Hyena cart. Anyway the WAHMs were awsome the stalkings were outragious, the drama was DRAMA. Elbees had a waiting list 6 months to a year long. My favorite WAHM's were Mudpie Babies AIO's, Full Moon Baby Gear, Fluffy Mail, Christian Creations and custom wool longies and shorties from a number of different WAHM's. Cranky Pants and having all the Fruit prints in a certain fitted (can't remember the name) were all the rage. I spent a fourtune on diapers and covers. I could have diapered 3 kids and wash twice a week with the amount of diapers I had. My stash is still pretty large and I havn't had a kid in 6 years. #3 is expected in September. I'm not going to go crazy this time. I have brand new fitteds from Christian Creations still in the packaging from DS#2 that I never even tried on him. I was going to sell them but never got around to it. I have custom dinosaur longies and hand dyed t-shirt that have never been worn because DS#2 got such a bad rash when he wore cloth. Didn't get a rash with sposies. So I am going to wait patiently until #3 arrives, use what I have and weed out what works and what doesn't and then make some small purchases here and there. I will not be an addict this time around.

Advertisement

Last edited by jelliescat; 03-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.
jelliescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #32
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love reading these!! More please
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #33
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I always knew I'd CD it was how I was raised. Cloth for home disposables for out and about. It seemed logical to me.
When pregnant with my first in 2002 I stocked up an what I assumed were THE cloth diapers gerbers. I had gerber flats and all cotton prefolds and the ones with the foam batting centers and pins and pul on pants in NB and smalls..and lots of bbay washcloths
I was SET! I spent the next few months practicing my folding and pinning techiques...

October 26.2002 at 4:16pm baby arrives 6lbs .05oz (whats that a rasin?) 18 inches she is jaundiced so we spent about 5 additional days in the hospital and she comes home at 5lbs 10oz..
I'm eager to try the cloth so as soon as were home I get that silly pamper off of her (which was huge) and go for the cloth I read for a flat cause I wanted to show off my swsome folding skills... Ummmm wait this things is HUGE,, Its folded down small enough but now its soo thick it is eatting my baby.. Lets try the prefolds ummm yea I think not.. I go back to the flats and out of frustration take one and CUT it in half.. Okay well Now i get fit it on her lets add the pants.. Wait huh this thing goes clear over her head, these leg holes are a JOKE I can fit her entire body through one..

I tried but first feeding and her signature explosive poo and I was DRENCHED,, eww so it was back to disposables which leaked too but gave better containment..
FOr the next 3-4 months we used disposables in hope she'd grown into the cloth. We spents HUNDREDS on sposies as our super pooper was averaging 20 diapers a day..
Then one day I think wouldn't it be cool if they made a cloth diaper that worked like a disposable came with fasteners water proofing etc.. and decided to search the internet..
By the end I'd made my first order I bought 2 5 pack Kushie AIOs in infants and 2 8 pack Kushie basic diapers and bummi PUll on whisper pants (which I miss ordered I'd ment to do the SWW)
They arrived SOOOOO addorable and soft.. The fitted and covers worked! the AIOs sadly were huge still but a spark was lit and I wanted to see if their was more.. SO back to the internet I went and this time also found some diapering boards and asked questions... LEarned about wool, and hemp about premium prefolds compared to gerbers.
Eventually I ended up with a stash of snuggle up flannal fitted, premium cotton prefolds Bummi SWW hemp stay dry doublers and wooly bottom covers and snappis.
I was hooked....

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
MommaKatie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh this is fun! My cousin's wife cloth diapered and mentioned it to me in an email to me when I was way pregnant with my first child. I thought "eww. No thanks. We'll be using pampers." And use pampers we did. They were all DD could wear without breaking out. Fast forward 16 months and DS was born and all he could wear were pampers sensitive and he still had alligator skin anywhere the diaper touched because they dried out his skin so badly. Another cousin handed down a half dozen or so eBay pockets and my baby's skin looked beautiful. Tail between my legs I emailed my cousins wife. I was on a budget and open to suggestion. Armed with some knowledge and our sposie budget for the month, I bought, if I recall correctly, 4 small bummis super snap and 6 medium bummis super snap off Craigslist, 4 Econobum seconds, 18 infant LL seconds, 3.5 dozen premium LL seconds, a handful of snappis and 2 wetbags. My cousins wife sent me some very used covers, her retired diaper sprayer and some hemp doublers. We probably could have very cheaply diapered our kids forever with that stash but I found Diaperswappers! We tried several other things, only to come back to prefolds and covers, only I found Flips, which DH and I both preferred over the bummis and econobums. We've been happily cloth diapering for over 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliescat View Post
I will not be an addict this time around.
famous last words
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #36
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Love this thread.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #37
AshleeRose
Registered Users

Technically my first time using cloth was when my first daughter was starting to potty train at age 3. I tried pull ups but they were SUCH a pain, and I kept hearing bad things about disposable trainers and how they prolong the whole process. I was discouraged. One day, I noticed some cute underwear-like training pants at Target. Gerber training pants with a little extra cotton in the middle for minor absorbancy. My daughter took to them very well...she was able to have a tiny "warning" accident in them without her pants getting wet and then would run to the bathroom. Soon she wasn't having any accidents at all! I rejoiced . The seed of curiousity about using cloth 100% was planted.

My husband and I then bought a duplex in the city, moved in/became landlords at the same time, and eventually baby girl #2 came along - but started off wearing sposies. We got into the WAPF/real food movement, joined a local co-op (Mississippi Market - fab place!), and that was the first time I saw true modern cloth diapers - Gdiapers - sitting next to all the other eco friendly baby items. I looked them over but didn't buy any. I also started reading the blog Young House Love where a post about their stash of BGEs caught my eye. I asked hubby about switching - I wanted it to be a mutual decision since he changes all diapers when I work evenings/weekends. He was less than enthusiastic and I dropped the subject.

Joining the co-op introduced up to a more green and self-sufficient way of living, and we began an effort to reduce waste in our home. Hubby saw just how much trash we were producing from diapers alone + what our tenants threw out, and I could tell it bugged him. I thought about cloth as a solution and knew I had a pretty solid case for switching. When DD #2 was around a year old, I casually brought it up again, this time with research to back up my idea. He actually listened, was intrigued, and agreed to give cloth a try! I was SO excited!!! I decided to sample a variety of stuff - osocozy, kissaluvs, thirsties, bummis, imse vimse, bottombumpers, mommy's touch, swaddlebees, softbums, babykicks, little beetle...I had a couple of products from each brand, and loved how every diaper had different benefits, uses, and fit. I found myself bringing a new diaper to work on occasion to show my coworkers how cute they were. I started suggesting cloth to any new mom announcements on my facebook feed. I then discovered a mom I went to hs with who now used cloth and she invited me to join her new Minnesota CD group on facebook. I finally got to chat with other moms who supported/shared my passion and helped me with any issues. Then another MN CD group was discovered, the two groups merged and began to grow, and now we have a few hundred members! This kept the love for cloth alive and kicking, introduced me to a gazillion other brands to try, and still has me joining new blogs, fan pages, etsy stores, ANYTHING to do with cloth.

....Now I'm expecting baby #3 in August and I am SUPER excited to CD a NEWBORN! I'm actively researching and planning what to add to my stash now, and furthermore I just joined diaperswappers too (this is my second post!) The addiction continues...dun dun dun!

Last edited by AshleeRose; 03-24-2013 at 02:40 PM.
AshleeRose is offline   Reply With Quote