Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
aimeelee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My baby HATES tummy time!

Hi all,

My eleven and a half week old baby girl HATES tummy time. I have tried everything I can think of to make it more pleasant for her: distracting with rattles and bright toys, singing songs, talking to her, helping her get propped up on her elbows and supporting some of her weight, changing the tummy time surface, even having her do her tummy time on mommy's tummy!

She starts fussing almost immediately, and she will really start wailing and be verrry upset by about two or three minutes in. What do I do? I can't just let her wail, poor thing. Has anyone overcome this problem at or around this age?

Advertisement

aimeelee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My baby HATES tummy time!

We skipped tummy time (as recommended by our ped) for both kids, it was just too much drama and unhappiness to even be worth it. Both kids were crawling and walking and the early side of normal, so I don't think it did them any harm.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Wearing her in a wrap or sling will use the same muscles that tummy time does without the stress of a baby who hates tummy time.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah our ped just told us to skip it. I wore ds a lot and he never had a smooshy head.

He was on the later side of normal for crawling and walking, but so what? Not worth the tears imo.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
Wearing her in a wrap or sling will use the same muscles that tummy time does without the stress of a baby who hates tummy time.
Yep, this is what we did too. All 3 of mine hated tummy time, none had flat heads, and 2 were walking at 10 months, so I can't say it really hurt them any not to have it!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
She's right.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD hated tummy time. I didn't worry about it too much until she started getting a flat spot.

Most of her tummy time ended up being on mom because that was happier for her.

I set a timer and I pretty much made her deal with it for about 5 minutes. I'd be there, playing with her, trying to distract her, etc. After 5 minutes, I'd relent and we'd do something else.

but I didn't start that until like... 4 or 5 months.

didn't end up being a problem in the end, she rolled, crawled, walked, ran just fine. Just didn't like tummy time.

ETA: I also wore her a lot, but she liked to be on the floor playing, and that meant she liked to be on her back.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 03-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
my oldest hated tummy time. I didn't worry about it as she walked at 8 months but order she rolled over that was her way of getting around...just never stayed there. My other two don't mine tummy time. My second girl loved and only slept on tummy.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
love4liam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby also hated tummy time until recently. I never forced it, I occasionally put him down for tummy time, as soon as a saw he wasn't thrilled to be on his belly I picked him up. I never let him get to the point of crying, I would pick him up even if it was on his belly for a couple of seconds. Then I would try a couple days or a week later. I also felt that it was no big deal if he never liked it. I would just check every now and then. However just this week he discovered flipping from his back to his belly and now he doesn't seem to mind being on his belly. I guess its because it was his decision to be there, who knows :-) He is a 5 1/2 months, in case you want a time reference.
love4liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu
We skipped tummy time (as recommended by our ped) for both kids, it was just too much drama and unhappiness to even be worth it. Both kids were crawling and walking and the early side of normal, so I don't think it did them any harm.
This is us too.

It's unnecessary.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote