Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #81
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

Re: *March Gardening Thread*

I was hoping to get everything in the ground before my LO came (due March 26th). He decided to come 3 weeks early, however, which has actually worked out fine. Spring is coming late to Ohio. I usually have started peas outside by now, but the ground is still frozen. I have started onions, basil, leeks, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. My grow lights are getting pretty full! I was planning on having the onions in the ground and the leeks, broccoli, and cabbage in my cold frame but the weather just isn't cooperating this year.

FYI, If any West Central Ohio area people are looking for a gardening blog, I started one last May. You can check it out at http://rlsnyder.us/blog

Advertisement

creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #82
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Maybe that's better? I remember having a heck of time bending over at 39 weeks to do anything (let alone SEE what I was doing - LOL!). I haven't started much, it's beautiful and warm but I don't trust it. Last year they said frost was over and I planted tomatoes and corn and lost half the corn and had burned tomatoes for a while. I just started the warmer crops inside this week.

OK, so the pics I forgot the other day, a few of my berry bushes and the garlic and some 1rst year bare root sequoia strawberries I bought on a whim. The red heritage raspberry and the himilayan wild blackberry are going crazy! The yellow and black raspberries are slowly coming to life

First blossoms..looks like it's going to be a good year!

Wrong time of day to take this pic, but this is the side of the house, I put the rabbit hutch in the back corner for the growing chicks to go into during the day. When it gets warmer, I will put shade cloth over that corner. The railroad ties are planted with grasses, grains and sunflowers to (hopefully) act as a salad bar for my chickens. I also plan on putting a couple big pots in the corner full of cherry tomatoes. My chickens love them. Trying to make a small unused area useful for the flock.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #83
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

DP.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #84
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I started my seeds late but they are mostly started at least. I need another tray to finish I think. It was lovely here today, 43 degrees and the kids played outside all afternoon and now I see we are due to get up to 10 inches of snow tomorrow

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #85
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

FX it doesn't stick! poor mamas! This is the last cold snap for most of you, right? I'm honestly very surprised it hasn't hit us yet. We've had snows as late as the end of April before. Everyone around here is planting out their full gardens and I just don't trust it yet.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #86
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Holy jeez gardening is HARD! Here is what I got done today! Half way there!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2355616340.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	137867
B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #87
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
My seedlings prefer to sit on the corner of the kitchen table, unfortunately my dh does not like this arrangement much at all. He said the garden and chickens are invading our house. s:
ha! my DH is the same way. i have a couple hens who at various times prefer to come in the house and lay their egg in the dog crate in my DD's bedroom. this drives DH crazy. whereas me, i'm just like, "look...there's a hen in the house." *back to whatever i was doing.*

perhaps your seedlings just like the sense of closure that's provided by beginning and ending their life cycle on the kitchen table. has he thought about that??
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #88
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anybody else have rain barrels or plan to make some this year? we have a couple of convenient downspouts from the roof of our new house that i'm eyeing. supposed to be a dry summer here this year...depending on hurricane season.

also, how do you store your sweet potatoes through the winter if you want to have your own slips to start with the next year? in the past, my mom/aunt/grandma has always had some going, so i'm a newbie at trying to obtain some for myself.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #89
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+EBabyDipes View Post
Holy jeez gardening is HARD! Here is what I got done today! Half way there!!

Attachment 137867
WOW. It gets easier year after year. The first year I started the plot I'm currently using it was half clay and I dug it up and turned it with nothing more than a shovel and my back. I couldn't see spending $50 to rent a tiller when it was such a small plot. I literally couldn't walk the next day but it was well worth it, all that compost added, I can go dig a hole with nothing but my fingers now. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
ha! my DH is the same way. i have a couple hens who at various times prefer to come in the house and lay their egg in the dog crate in my DD's bedroom. this drives DH crazy. whereas me, i'm just like, "look...there's a hen in the house." *back to whatever i was doing.*

perhaps your seedlings just like the sense of closure that's provided by beginning and ending their life cycle on the kitchen table. has he thought about that??
I'll tell him that when he sees the tomatoes and peppers currently sprouting atop a heat pad on the table. Our girls like to meander in the house and steal the dog's food. Often it's our EE's tilly and greta. They're so sneaky and quiet you won't even know they're in till one of them is standing next to you, happily trilling.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #90
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm so glad y'all appreciate my sense of humor. it's nice to make someone smile...or wet their pants laughing ... whatever.