Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you skip out on good deals and saving money to be minimalist?

Something that's always annoyed me is the hassles of returning pop cans for money. Finding a place to store them, and remembering to get it done once a year just isn't worth the $5 bucks or so. Haven't done it in years. BIL has been homeless and is just always shocked when I have a 5 cent can that I'm not going to bother to return. But with how infrequently we have things that are redeemable it's just not worth it to me. I do have that nagging feeling that I'm missing out on money though.

I also see offers for signing up for reward points and credit accounts and all that. But I really don't want more accounts to manage. I try to make all my purchases on 1 credit card so I can easily track how much I'm spending and have it all in one place. But I do feel a little bad when I don't get all those awesome introductory promotions. Bill Me Later will give me $10 towards my first purchase, but that credit wont show up for a few months. I've been following slick deals and have managed to snag some awesome things. But I've been surprisingly good about only getting things we really need. I keep finding myself not wanting to bother with deals that involve signing up for more emails and accounts. Pre-minimalism I think I would have bought a LOT more stuff there.

Anyone else skip out on things that might get them a little bit of money just because they want to avoid the hassles and keep things simple?

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you skip out on good deals and saving money to be minimalist?

Absolutely get it. It's sort of like couponing- hauling in a bunch of flyers and coupons and spending an extra 15 minutes at the cash to buy things that I probably wouldn't normally buy is not a useful way to spend my time. I also don't need anymore accounts/deal cards/credit cards etc. to manage. We have one joint credit card that we collect awesome travel reward points with, and we stick with that. I would definitely not store pop cans for a year to get 5$ back. I may store them for a month or so if someone else (like your BIL) wanted to come and get them and return them himself.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't do most of that stuff either. I find it annoying a time-consuming. Coupling usually involves unhealthy convenience foods like pop tarts and frozen dinners. I don't want to spend hours sorting through to find $.35 off eggs. I've been steadily UN subscribing to websites and emails. I do all my doing on a few sites, I refuse to have dozens of orders on different sites. If I can't order it on Amazon, Barnes and noble, or nuts.com, I won't order it.

I will say though that we have a salary that allows it, but I totally get how some SAHM s jobs are to save even a few dollars a week by looking for deals.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have found my buying/shopping habits have totally changed. I don't keep a 3 month stockpile of anything any more as stuff goes on sale. My pantry is looking more and more empty. I am just buying what we need for the week, and maybe double if it is on sale. I don't go to the store that has the cheapest X, I buy it at whatever store I am at that week. My full grocery options and Costco are all at least 20 minutes away, but they just opened a Trader Joes 5 minutes away, so I am trying to buy most of the weekly perishables at TJ and most of the staples at Costco so I have fewer and shorter trips. The only coupons I use now are ones already attached to what I am buying. My grocery bill has remained pretty much the same but there is much less waste and less in storage.

I have also unsubscribed to a bunch of things and don't shop for non-grocery items much any more. We basically have most everything we need, and when a need arises, I can usually find a coupon code somewhere to order it online.

Instead of playing the games to save money, I use that time to track everything on Mint. I think in the long run that saves us more money than anything. We are much more aware of what we are spending and bringing into the home. Of course when you have a lot less stuff, it is also easier to see when new stuff comes in.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i buy things in bulk if they are on sale. (not meaning I go to sams) I dont do coupons often tho. its annoying to have paper around and then lug coupons around in my purse.

but yes, in general I will buy something I didnt plan to if we need it and its a great deal.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can understand what you are feeling. I actually hatecouponing but I do it some because its a minimal time investment for me. I have stockpiles of consumables too. Like I found big boxes of Tide for $5 each so you bet I bought 10 of them. But I know they will all get used. I can reconcile that part of non-minimalsm.

Honestly though, saving money trumps minimalism most of the time. But saving time is kinda right below that. So I wont shop everywhere in town looking for the best deal on batteries...I'll keep an. Eye out at my usuual 3 stores. Stuff like that.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

I don't coupon because, at least where I live, it's for items I don't buy anyway, and I value my time too highly. Trying to streamline my life means not creating additional stress for zero to minimal gains. I shop at Costco, my local grocery, and Amazon for groceries and household items. Having time for what I value, and buying quality is most important to me; not just buying whatever uneeded thing is on sale. I am very deliberate with my purchases.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been thinking about this more....I was thinking about eliminating a few of the moneysaving blogs from my Facebook news feed because I DO buy things more often when I see deals there. Maybe I'll give it a trial run....

We do need to watch how we spend our money, but perhaps skipping deals will be the same as paying more for something not on a supersale? That would eliminate a lot of mental clutter for me. I can't believe the amount of time some of these bloggers have to post deals online. It's amazing.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I'd store them for a little bit if someone else wanted to collect them but we don't buy pop & live in Canada so it isn't an option.

We tend to stick to our close store even if there are sales on out of town, usually the cost of gas/the time + the extra impulse purchases negate the deals anyway.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've never been much for coupons. It's an awful lot of work to find coupons for things we actually use. Maybe when we can go to a place that allows us to load up our card with coupons online before we go it will be more worth it. Then I can load up coupons for anything we might decide we want and forget about them. If I happen to buy that thing, great, we have a coupon! But I won't be tempted to buy it BECAUSE we have a coupon. I do much better that way. I also prefer to pick up the coupons offered in the store aisle if it's something I know I'll use. HEB back where we used to live had some great in-store coupons for complete meals, so when I saw one for something my family would like and would save us money, we'd do that, but that was rare.

We also don't really buy in bulk. I know it's cheaper to buy a big giant bulk package of peanut butter, ketchup, or whatever, at least in theory, but then I have to figure out a place to store all the extra ketchup, etc that's not in use. We're trying to get away from having to store a bunch of stuff. The only thing we really buy in bulk is toilet paper, and that's because (as a family of 6) we go through that stuff quick enough to make it worth storing. It's just not logical to do anything else unless we know we'll go through it quickly. We might do ketchup in the summer (since it's the season for grilling, hot dogs, and all that), but that's about it.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote