Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help me decide which car seat to get.

DS is currently riding in a Graco Myride 65 and DD is still in the infant seat, but is very close to out growing it. We were going to get a Diono RXT and move DD into the My ride and the newbie would go in hers. So do you think we should get the Diono or does anyone have something else they would recommend? I like that the Diono is convertible and that it is on the narrow side since we'll have three car seats in one vehicle. I figured I should get some opinions before I purchased. TIA

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me decide which car seat to get.

Is DS FF? If so, you might also look at the Defender. It is nice and narrow, and significantly cheaper. But it is a FF only seat.

I personally hate Radians. They are incompatible with some cars, and a PITA to install in my cars. I always cut the heck out of my hand when installing them RFing reaching through the belt path. I wouldn't willingly buy another one if I didn't have to. I have 2 in DH's Accord to get 3 across, but if I was buying now, I'd get a Defender for DS and DD1 instead.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-24-2013 at 09:55 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, DS is FF, although we plan to RF our others longer than we have DS. We will probably install it in our main vehicle and shouldn't need to uninstall it unless the need arises, but easy to install would for sure be nice. I will look into the defender to. I wish there was a place close to us where we could try out car seats that way we can get one we like without having to buy them.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I wouldn't get a Radian for a FF child unless I needed it for 3 across. How far are you from a Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby? Have you looked for seat configurations in your car on the 3 across thread on car-seat.org?
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
What do you drive?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I don't actually drive myself, but DH drives a chevy silverado. IDK about a buy buy baby, but the closest toys r us is 4 hours away. I'm thinking I'll get the measurements on the diono and the graco my ride we already have and see how much room we have back there. For those that have experience with the diono, are the buckles on it easy to use? That's one of my biggest problems with car seats is not being able to buckle and unbuckle the kids easily. We have an evenflo something in our extra vehicle which we rarely use, but I hate the buckles on it.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just so you know, Radian has a 50 pound minimum to booster, and is often outgrown by height at the same time you outgrow the harness height. So, as a FF only seat, you will have a limited window of usefulness. My DD is 6 and only 42 pounds. If your son is a lightweight, he may outgrow it by height before he is even able to use it as a booster.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Right now he is 35 lbs and about 3 ft tall. so how long do you think we'll be able to use it? I'm thinking if/when he outgrows it we'll just get a FF only seat or a booster if that's what he needs then, and then we'll rotate seats with the younger kids again.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh and luvsviola can you link me to the defender you were talking about, I'm having trouble finding it online.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://harmonyjuvenile.com/details?pid=171&cid=45

DD is about 42" and is about out of her Radian. She turned 6 in January. We started booster training when she was 5.5. She fits well in a Turbo highback booster.