Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What is your homeschool budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
. His biggest expense would be Roller Derby but I don't really consider it a school expense.
Roller Derby! Does he race as well? I was a competitive inline skater way back when.

Advertisement

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #32
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
Roller Derby! Does he race as well? I was a competitive inline skater way back when.
He just does Derby right now. He is very serious about it even though he mostly only gets to skate with the big guys (or maybe that is what makes him so serious). His goal is to make it to the Olympics some day. I think he would live on skates if he could. He is more graceful on wheels than off.

Roller sports are so cool. A couple of the guys from the team used to race. We also have an ex-Hockey player or two. The translation to quads takes a while but they are all great.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have two school age, and for the upcoming year we spent just over $400 on curriculum. I do not include activities and such because we would probably do a lot of that anyway. As for basic supplies such as paper, markers, etc, we stock up for the entire year during back to school sales so that doesn't cost much.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
tink90
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We semi-unschool/relaxed homeschool, so I don't buy curriculum. I'm a little aghast that it costs that much!!!! lol

Anyway, I keep a running wishlist on Amazon and get things as I have extra money or when I feel like it. There are always educational things on Amazon that I want, lol. For example:

I get the kids grade-appropriate workbooks (we like BrainQuest) to do when they want to. They like workbooks though.
Paper/notebooks/pencils/art supplies- I get these during back to school sales
Games
books, books, books......
I just bought wooden Cuisenaire Rods, a base ten set, a large set of wooden pattern blocks, several puzzles, a few wooden brainteasers, and playdoh.

I will probably get them both an Ipad (or a non apple version....hubs hates Apple, lol) at some point.

I get LOTS of stuff at garage sales. I have tons (TONS!!!) of books. I get them almost exclusively at yard sales. Educational books, picture books, chapter books, whatever. I have probably about 30 DK-type of science/animal/habitat type of books....and many, many others.

We also get annual family passes to the zoo and museums for field trips and enrichment.

Anyway....so I don't have a "budget". I just buy things as I want to or can afford them. Sometimes I go a month without buying anything, sometimes I spend a couple hundred.

ETA my kids are 7 (1st grade-ish), 5 (preschool/kindergarten-ish) and 5 months (Nipple Master Supreme)

*.~.~.*Petalheads*.~.~.*
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1484149
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petal...61515813886015

Last edited by tink90; 03-24-2013 at 10:58 PM.
tink90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink90 View Post
We semi-unschool/relaxed homeschool, so I don't buy curriculum. I'm a little aghast that it costs that much!!!! lol

Anyway, I keep a running wishlist on Amazon and get things as I have extra money or when I feel like it. There are always educational things on Amazon that I want, lol. For example:

I get the kids grade-appropriate workbooks (we like BrainQuest) to do when they want to. They like workbooks though.
Paper/notebooks/pencils/art supplies- I get these during back to school sales
Games
books, books, books......
I just bought wooden Cuisenaire Rods, a base ten set, a large set of wooden pattern blocks, several puzzles, a few wooden brainteasers, and playdoh.

I will probably get them both an Ipad (or a non apple version....hubs hates Apple, lol) at some point.

I get LOTS of stuff at garage sales. I have tons (TONS!!!) of books. I get them almost exclusively at yard sales. Educational books, picture books, chapter books, whatever. I have probably about 30 DK-type of science/animal/habitat type of books....and many, many others.

We also get annual family passes to the zoo and museums for field trips and enrichment.

Anyway....so I don't have a "budget". I just buy things as I want to or can afford them. Sometimes I go a month without buying anything, sometimes I spend a couple hundred.

ETA my kids are 7 (1st grade-ish), 5 (preschool/kindergarten-ish) and 5 months (Nipple Master Supreme)
Yeah, we didn't really spend much in our unschooling days either but when my oldest hit about 10 I felt like we needed more structure for my own peace of mind and so I could make sure everyone was learning the important bits. Now $1000 for 4 kids doesn't seem too bad when I realize most of it is reusable. We use Sonlight so most of what I'm paying for is books that are going to be read over and over again. My kids are now 12, 11, 9, 6 and 2. All I bought for the 6 yr old this year was a math book and handwriting book because that is what she wanted to do.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Everything for this coming school year including all curriculum and extras, ink, paper, and a new printer (ours was slowly dying) was just over $1000 for 4 kids (Pre-K, K, 1st & 3rd grade). That doesn't include field trips or school supplies like crayons, but those expenses are minimal and counted as they come up since most of our field trips are free or really cheap, and I shop for school supplies when they are on sale super-cheap. Some of the basics like pencils and paper are given out to all of the kids at church over the last few weeks of summer, so I never have to buy those.

This reminds me that I need to start finding out the dates of all of the local trips for this year and next. I'm thinking we will try to go to some local reenactments and other living history events next school year since we will be doing MFW Adventures as a family.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #37
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

You all have me curious since you're talking about reusing curriculums. How long can you reuse them before you worry about them getting outdated? Or do they really? S will be starting HSing in the fall for 2nd grade. L is only 18 months so it will be quite a while til she is at that level. Should I not worry about reusing anything from S's HSing for her or subsequent children?

I was afraid to buy used bc of this as well. And I am thinking about using Math-U-See and saw that they have some older versions on clearance. Would it be bad to get these to save some money, or should she have the current editions?
margaretkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #38
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretkaye View Post
You all have me curious since you're talking about reusing curriculums. How long can you reuse them before you worry about them getting outdated? Or do they really? S will be starting HSing in the fall for 2nd grade. L is only 18 months so it will be quite a while til she is at that level. Should I not worry about reusing anything from S's HSing for her or subsequent children?

I was afraid to buy used bc of this as well. And I am thinking about using Math-U-See and saw that they have some older versions on clearance. Would it be bad to get these to save some money, or should she have the current editions?
Do you mean outdated as in having trouble finding accompanying workbooks or as in no longer relevant? As far as revelence, facts don't change. Many people still home school their children using McGuffey's Readers and other classic material. History can be updated easily as far as what happened over those last few years by simply knowing current events. New scientific discoveries are constantly made, but most of that isn't studied in depth in elementary anyway. Basically, you should be fine reusing material even with that age gap.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #39
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by hac1224; 04-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #40
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224

Do you mean outdated as in having trouble finding accompanying workbooks or as in no longer relevant? As far as revelence, facts don't change. Many people still home school their children using McGuffey's Readers and other classic material. History can be updated easily as far as what happened over those last few years by simply knowing current events. New scientific discoveries are constantly made, but most of that isn't studied in depth in elementary anyway. Basically, you should be fine reusing material even with that age gap.
I guess I meant along the lines of relevancy. It seems like they're always changing things and I worry it won't be accurate. So even if I buy older material now it should be fine to reuse later?

Then the workbooks too, like the instruction books for math I can keep, but they won't do any good bc the workbooks won't match, right?

Last edited by margaretkaye; 04-08-2013 at 07:47 AM.
margaretkaye is offline   Reply With Quote