Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't get the meds and they kept us both for 48 hours with my one birth that I tested positive for. No biggie. You rest, and they feed you. What's not to like. Hubby loved it. ;-)

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Grieving my dream birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
I didn't get the meds and they kept us both for 48 hours with my one birth that I tested positive for. No biggie. You rest, and they feed you. What's not to like. Hubby loved it. ;-)
It sounds not so bad, and I think if my husband could have been there it wouldn't have been as terrible. There were just a lot of things that played into it. I had no idea that I would have to stay so I didn't plan for it, I was missing my little girl at home my husband couldn't stay with me (due to the size of the overflow room I was shoved into), I was absolutely crazy exhausted and the nurse was trying to convince me I should just give the baby formula because I was telling her I didn't remember the latch hurting the last time. I just need to remember that I don't have to have the same postpartum experience as last time. I'm more prepared this time and I know how much I need my hubby with me so I will make sure arrangements are made for that.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm so sorry, mama. I think you have a good plan with checking in and immediately requesting the abx. That's critical my peace of mind, also, when GBS +.

I am praying for you to get the abx in plenty of time, baby to be unaffected by GBS, husband to stay with you, and your birth to be peaceful, empowering, and healthy in every way.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
It can be a biggie, though. I've heard of some hospitals where baby is taken to the NICU for 48 hours observation, and others where baby is not only in the NICU but immediately started on IV antibiotics. Definitely both a biggie, IMO.

I would be okay with having to stay 48 hours, as long as baby stayed with me The peace and quiet will be nice!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
It can be a biggie, though. I've heard of some hospitals where baby is taken to the NICU for 48 hours observation, and others where baby is not only in the NICU but immediately started on IV antibiotics. Definitely both a biggie, IMO.

I would be okay with having to stay 48 hours, as long as baby stayed with me The peace and quiet will be nice!
I agree with you. At my hospital I was having a very fast labor and needed the abx, but I asked what would happen if I didn't get them and they said the baby would have to stay at the hospital for 10 days! (I'm assuming I would have had to go home without him during that time- definitely a huge deal IMO)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
I agree with you. At my hospital I was having a very fast labor and needed the abx, but I asked what would happen if I didn't get them and they said the baby would have to stay at the hospital for 10 days! (I'm assuming I would have had to go home without him during that time- definitely a huge deal IMO)
OMGosh!!?!!! That's way over the top, IMO. Definitely well over the standard recommended protocol
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I am GBS- but what exactly is it and why is it a risk to the baby?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
Bluebox
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So sorry. Just be firm and stand up for your rights as a patient to have or refuse the services you want. I'm a Registered Nurse and I know how pushy they can be sometimes but you still have the right to have the birth you want. Best of luck.
Bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Group B Strep. It's naturally occurring intestinal flora that when out of balance can spread to your external bits and potentially make baby very sick if the pick it up on their way out. If I'm remembering correctly...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
GBS info from the SOGC