Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
lina81
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tamiflu during third tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
It's not about loyalty, it's about not getting what can be lifesaving advice from the internet vs a doctor. The flu, as much as many here like to scoff at, actually does kill people. Pregnant women are especially at risk.
I wasn't necessarily talking about the internet. There are other ways to do your research. A lot of things kill people, including things (like vaccines) that are supposed to save lives. All I'm saying is, weigh the risks on both sides in the balance. To me, the risks of a flu vaccine while pregnant outweigh the potential positives.

Advertisement

Last edited by lina81; 03-26-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: correction
lina81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
It's not about loyalty, it's about not getting what can be lifesaving advice from the internet vs a doctor. The flu, as much as many here like to scoff at, actually does kill people. Pregnant women are especially at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

great article with helpful suggestions...(i had the flu in my first trimester of this pregnancy and took sambucol, vitamin c, green tea, and apple cider vinegar)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-r...b_2481102.html

ETA: the flu turned into bronchitis with a croup cough for me this time. i have scarring on my left lung from almost dying of pneumonia when i was 23. since then i have at times needed an inhaler during bronchial infections since my lungs are weak. needless to say we were all worried- thankfully i didnt even need an inhaler. my PCP told me to apply the tincture of time and that tamiflu was only nominally better than a placebo! i have seen a TEDtalk criticizing its use and it has been targeted for bad science.

i wouldnt take it either but we each make our own choices!

Last edited by nettepoet; 03-27-2013 at 09:12 AM.
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina81 View Post
Even people you trust can make poorly informed decisions. My first loyalty is to to the wellbeing of my family and myself, not to my OB, and that means that whatever the doctor may say, I make an informed decision by checking out the research, contraindications, etc. on any medication prescribed. One of the problems with present day medicine in the US is that doctors often don't have the time to keep up with research on medications, etc. The research on Tamiflu indicates it may not be worth taking for anyone, and it is definitely not recommended during pregnancy.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

Myth of Tamiflu - 5 Things You Should Know

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankr...u-should-know/

i found this article which supports what ive heard about tamiflu already. you definitely have to do a cost/benefit analysis when it comes to your health and realize that even your doc can be poorly informed just because of how our healthcare system is set up.

i worked in the pharma industry for years as an analyst and i have stories that would be against the law for me to actually tell on the internet, but trust me it makes you think twice about procedures/drugs. what i can tell you is that research IS funded by pharma companies and their own sales reps are the ones TRAINING your doctor or your surgeon on the use of the device/drug, not the other way around. sales reps with no schooling or background in even a science or anatomy class. additionally, a product with a known issue will be evaluated using a FORMULA to determine if it is cheaper to settle on a case by case basis or to recall. i handled many aspects of this including FDA reporting and it is pretty much a scandal wherein profit trumps lives every time. im not kidding, the things i witnessed used to make me cry myself to sleep! (ok i cant help it, im not naming names but in my old company, research and development once released a medical device with a flaw that became known just after release. the device was for heart patients who needed the vein in their leg harvested for use on their hearts..unfortunately it was getting stuck in cut mode and was shredding the vein. the answer? hire more employees to deal with the additional volume of complaints.)

a personal anecdote: in 1999 when my first kiddo was a newborn, i sat in her ped's waiting room about to get her the HepB vaccine when an article on the table attracted my attention. it was an article detailing a study which raised concerns about contaminants in that particular version of the vaccine, and said that a recall was being debated due to muscular issues evident in some infants. i showed it to my daughter's ped, and was literally screamed out of the door for even asking. she told me i was taking my childs life in my hands, i told her that according to the release form she wanted me to sign, my daughters life was already in my hands. it took another two years or so (i think it was merk in 2001) but the recall did happen.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

I trust our docs nearly 100%.. I say nearly because I don't believe it is good to put 100% faith in anyone (besides God) as there are too many variables & lack of full disclosure by those who make the mega $$. Our docs prescribed Zithromax for our kids, I gave it to them because they had what could have been very serious... I was nervous, just like I am w/any ABX & meds, but weighed the benefits VS the risks & felt it was needed. We very rarely use anything & use Tylenol 1 x a YEAR or less, so I had to be very concerned to have used ABX. While taking it & after I was extra aggressive w/probiotics, fermented foods, broths, etc. to help restore their gut flora, etc.

Fast forward to today... I just read about how Z can cause death via heart issues and cause CANCER. Apparently this is not something yet widely known or accepted (like the Vioxx atrocity), so my docs prescribed it w/what they knew at that time about it... had something happened, it would have been chalked up to "who knew" like everything else. Had I have known what I know today, I probably would NOT have used it then... but no going back.

The point is that nobody knows the full ramifications because much of the data about drugs, vax, etc. is unknown, whether that be intentional or not is for another thread, but we have to be our own advocates and not put blind faith into someone because there are some letters after their name. Do your OWN research & be your baby's advocate as there is nobody else who can be better than you. Sure there can be deaths from flu, but there can be deaths FROM the DRUG too.

I just Googled it & it is a class C... I NOT take a class C drug when pregnant no matter what doctor prescribed it unless there were no other options and it was clearly necessary... there are other options for treating flu symptoms, which is what I would focus on. The side effects of the drug are nothing to scoff at... & if they could affect a full size adult like that, imagine the affect on an unborn baby.. just my :

Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category Explanation
All Trimesters C Animal studies have shown an adverse effect and there are no adequate studies in pregnant women OR no animal studies have been conducted and there are no adequate studies in pregnant women.

http://www.drugs.com/cons/tamiflu.html

Last edited by daddyn4wisechix; 03-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote