Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
jbug_4's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 7,040
My Mood:
Re: watching a kid for the summer...taxes ?

Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
There are specific tax laws that apply just to child care income. I had to familiarize myself with them recently because of our nanny. For 2012, it was income over $1700/year that had to be reported. There is a $600/year cutoff for other types of income.

You should really check with a tax professional. There are several different guidelines about who has to and doesn't have to file taxes. Even if I could direct you to a link there are requirements even within the how much money you make guideline. Best bet is to call a tax professional. Since its still tax season you can call H&R or the other major one and ask. They will probably tell you right over the phone for free. Last time I did this was about 3 years ago. i was a nany for several months, but full time. I accepted state pay (the parent was on assistance). I did not have to file taxes for it. Can't remember how much I got paid but I did not have to file taxes. I do have to save my paperwork for 7 years because i was paid by DSS, but did not make enough to have to file taxes.


SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-28-2013 at 04:28 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
I think every individuals situation may be different. Especially if your state charges income tax, or if you have other forms of income to report. I know ours gets complicated bc my husband has regular w2 employment AND is self-employed. And I do doula work, run an etsy shop AND watch kids. LOL.

A tax pro would be the best person to ask. Especially if you do your own taxes - it's easy to put things in the wrong category on turbotax or other software, and if the family is reporting that they paid you, it could flag your return and cause a delay if you make a mistake based on bad advice. ;-)

Now I'm going to contact a tax person too... Lol.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.