Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For those that have/do have a Paragard IUD

I have had Paraguard for about 18 mos and OP, it's only been the last 2 cycles that I haven't felt like you. AF was always super light, no cramps, and didn't return until after the IUD was inserted... so I was totally thrown. I think the average is like 6 mos of really bad cycles but mine was over a year, so maybe you are close to the light at the end?
I use lunette with mine and haven't had any issues. The first few days, lunette (emptied every 2 hours) and a full sized overnight pad.

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbstanley3
..,seems like the only other option would be to wean my 18 month old and get on the pill. Obviously, she'd survive but I really don't want to do that. But I really can't/don't want to get pregnant either!
Why would you need to wean to go on the pill? I would think you're milk is established. Is there an issue with bf and the pill? I thought that's why they prescribed the mini pill so that you can nurse.

Progesterone only pills are not the only kind. The estrogen-progesterone mix ones are less likely to cause dep issues (in my experience). Plus they're more effective than mini pill.

FYI you said that you have to pay oop for your care. Check out planned parenthood or your local health dept. they operate on a sliding scale. If you go on the pill, ask for samples, everything I switched pills, the dr always gave a 3 month supply to see if it worked for you. At least it will save a bit of money.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
Why would you need to wean to go on the pill? I would think you're milk is established. Is there an issue with bf and the pill? I thought that's why they prescribed the mini pill so that you can nurse.

Progesterone only pills are not the only kind. The estrogen-progesterone mix ones are less likely to cause dep issues (in my experience). Plus they're more effective than mini pill.

FYI you said that you have to pay oop for your care. Check out planned parenthood or your local health dept. they operate on a sliding scale. If you go on the pill, ask for samples, everything I switched pills, the dr always gave a 3 month supply to see if it worked for you. At least it will save a bit of money.
I actually am going to the FP clinic at our local health dept. next week for my check-up. I thought the est-pro pill made your milk completely dry up? If it won't, I'd love to go back on it b/c I never had any issues w/ it before I had my kids. Sorry for the abbreviations, I'm NAK.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
I have had Paraguard for about 18 mos and OP, it's only been the last 2 cycles that I haven't felt like you. AF was always super light, no cramps, and didn't return until after the IUD was inserted... so I was totally thrown. I think the average is like 6 mos of really bad cycles but mine was over a year, so maybe you are close to the light at the end?
I use lunette with mine and haven't had any issues. The first few days, lunette (emptied every 2 hours) and a full sized overnight pad.
Hmm, so maybe I need to just stick it out. It's not unbearable, but extremely annoying and I feel like I'm confined to the house during that time of the month.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Maybe check on the bf ing forum but as I recall from my brief usage of the mini pill was that it was only supposed to be used for the first 6 months of bf to avoid disruption of milk levels. After that you could go to the regular ones which were more effective because your milk was established.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I know people who went on it later and dried up. You are supposed to not be on extra estrogen as it means lowered prolactin levels.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just a quick update for anyone wondering - I had my appointment today. Placement is fine, strings were just cut a little short apparently when it was inserted last year but the strings were easily visible. Negative pregnancy test, etc. My period (last week) ended up a little shorter, with it slightly lighter towards the end than it has been being, so I'm going to give it a few more months to see if it continues to lighten up and may try using a menstrual cup to see if that helps. Thanks to everyone for their advice, suggestions, and experience; I truly appreciate it!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
Sdayfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used Paraguard and loved it, unfortunately we were in the 1% and got pregnant! I would still use it though!
Sdayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote