Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
kungfualex
Registered Users

Re: Singles Moms Support?

I'm a single mom of a 5 week old. I moved in with my mom while pregnant so I wouldn't have to worry about money. She's almost 70, with some health problems, so she can't help with baby care but I think I wound up with a pretty easy baby (so far, at least) and I haven't had any times yet that I felt like I couldn't handle it. Of course, that might change once he's mobile!

Advertisement

kungfualex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Since this is kind of a chat thread, I'll ask you ladies about this. How on earth do you handle appointments for kids + your schedule? Ds has been sick, so I missed class on Tuesday, & my brother tried to take a morning off work to take him to the Dr tomorrow but got denied, so now I'll have to miss another class. I'm already behind!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
Since this is kind of a chat thread, I'll ask you ladies about this. How on earth do you handle appointments for kids + your schedule? Ds has been sick, so I missed class on Tuesday, & my brother tried to take a morning off work to take him to the Dr tomorrow but got denied, so now I'll have to miss another class. I'm already behind!
Can you not take him to the dr when you don't have class?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

wow thanks for starting this. im in a funny spot. im not a single parent, but 90% of the time my husband is at work or school while im at home with our son. it is a very interesting life we live... thanks for sharing your stories.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a single mom of a 5.5 yr old. his dad and I separated just before he was 1, and divorced a couple of days before he turned 2. His dad is in the Army, so he doesnt get to see him a ton (he got stationed in Hawaii in Nov, ds and I are in TX).

I work full time, and go to school. Was full time, but I had to drop my classes this semester, because my mom totaled my car. She lives with us, and sometimes is a great help, but she is a horrible alcoholic, and often is more trouble than she is worth (and I hate saying that about my mom )

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Can you not take him to the dr when you don't have class?
His Dr's office in months ahead in appointments, and as my experience has shown, if you don't show up to the walk in clinic(at his normal dr) as soon as the office opens at 7am, you wait for HOURs. I'm not kidding, I've sat in there for 5 hours at least twice. So we showed up at 7am, along with 4 other people, and only waited 2 hours. Professor is letting me turn in my homework for full credit this coming week.

I know my biggest problem is that if he has a fever or is otherwise unable to attend daycare, I don't have anyone to watch him.

Last edited by nothingtosee; 03-29-2013 at 10:17 PM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
Mackie3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Im 24 and a single mom to a five yr old girl, 4 yr old girl & 8 week old boy. And I honestly think it's sometimes easier being single because when you have your SO, your expect them to help out & most of the time they dont, so it's just frustrating and causes problems. Being single, you don't have expectations of anyone but yourself.
Signed:
HAPPILY DIVORCED & SINGLE
Mackie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie3 View Post
Im 24 and a single mom to a five yr old girl, 4 yr old girl & 8 week old boy. And I honestly think it's sometimes easier being single because when you have your SO, your expect them to help out & most of the time they dont, so it's just frustrating and causes problems. Being single, you don't have expectations of anyone but yourself.
Signed:
HAPPILY DIVORCED & SINGLE
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not single now but I was a single mom for 4 years, and I know lots of mamas here have been single in the past if they aren't now.
Dropping in just to offer moral support and also for those that want to be in a relationship... It is possible! Happily married now for nine years.

Also, for those in school, it depends on the professor, but it's always worth telling the prof what's up and many of them will do their best to be flexible and understanding. I would treat class like a job and send an email letting them know you will be absent and why. Also... Some time in the first class or two make sure you exchange info with another student and them ask them for notes, etc if you have to miss. Being proactive that way makes a good impression. Better not to ask the prof what happened in class - that's like "I couldn't be bothered so why don't you go through the while thing again" and makes the prof less likely to want to be understanding.

Some schools offer childcare assistance and/or backup care to students. Find out if your school has anything like that.

Don't be shy about asking for help. People like to be helpful and it's actually a good way to make friends, but do pay attention to back and forth... You don't want to be always asking the same person and not giving back.

I was single from birth to 4. I was lucky the first mine months as my dad helped me out so I could stay home and then I lived on student loans and CS. I had a campus job and my office had a sofa so when dd was sick sometimes I could just bring her with me.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

HEY LADIES!!!
Just wanted to say, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND to all of you hard working momma's!