Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

how to set trade value?

I can't find any guidelines on how to generally set values when trading? Is it just whatever you would price it at ppd if listed for sale? Sometimes I have seen threads with different values for trade and for pp? Is it different for used items and new items? Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: how to set trade value?

Generally people set their trade values at their desired sale price or slightly higher (since PP usually trumps a trade).

However, if I were interested in someone else's item, and then they looked at my IHA list and asked me "What is your trade value on XYZ?" I find that difficult to answer. Usually I respond with "It all depends on your trade value for ABC." If someone puts high trade values on all their items then I need to jack up my trade values in order make a fair trade; and the converse is true as well. I have seen people put $35 TV on a moby wrap whereas another person does $15. Some of the most wildly varying TV's come with used clothing - some want close to the retail sticker price whereas others ask garage sale / Goodwill values.

So in the end.. trade values on my items all depend on whomever I'm trading with.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't generally like trading...I almost always end up feeling cheated...but if I were to trade, my TV would be what I want ppd for my item(s). I don't think there are any guidelines. If you feel its a fair trade, that's all that should matter.

Its similar with selling, a person can put any value the wish as their asking price, if it isn't worth that value to you, you will not buy it.

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 03-29-2013 at 09:06 AM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

majority of my trades were fair, i always try to ask thorough questions about condition of items. i list trade value prices close to ppd prices, but will discount on multiple trade items if i really really want something someone has - if i don't and someone makes me a trade offer, i usually stick to my asking price. start at approx ppd price or a little lower, unless the item has a high resale value and it will sell/trade at a decent price.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
Generally people set their trade values at their desired sale price or slightly higher (since PP usually trumps a trade).

However, if I were interested in someone else's item, and then they looked at my IHA list and asked me "What is your trade value on XYZ?" I find that difficult to answer. Usually I respond with "It all depends on your trade value for ABC." If someone puts high trade values on all their items then I need to jack up my trade values in order make a fair trade; and the converse is true as well. I have seen people put $35 TV on a moby wrap whereas another person does $15. Some of the most wildly varying TV's come with used clothing - some want close to the retail sticker price whereas others ask garage sale / Goodwill values.

So in the end.. trade values on my items all depend on whomever I'm trading with.
My experience, too. I also value NWT items more than used items, unless of course, there is a very different value, like a $5 NWT item and good condition used item that is $20 new.

When I do a trade, I try to add up in my head a fair value of each item and the shipping cost to make it fair for each person.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i set the trade value as what i would list the item for if i were to sell it
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote