Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dutch oven

Are they worth the price? What could I use instead? I keep finding all these recipes that call for a Dutch oven on Pinterest.

Advertisement

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dutch oven

For cooking in your house? Or outdoor cooking? We have over 15 dutch ovens, but they are for outdoor camp type cooking. We love to dutch oven cook, outside using coals in the summer. I've never done any kind of a recipe inside that I couldn't just do in a pot. I guess I could go get one of the outdoor ones, but I've never felt the need. So now I"m curious to see other people's take on this.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For inside cooking. I keep seeing recipes for them. I didn't know if just using my normal big pot would make that big of a difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think the difference is they can go on the stove and in the oven. I have some recipes that start on the stove and then transfer to the oven without haveing to move it to a baking pan. My dutch oven also has a thicker bottom so tends to not burn as easily. As it is also cast iron it heats evenly and holds heat well.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

It depends on the recipe. As PP said, sometimes you put a dutch oven into the stove. But if not, one of two alternatives might suffice.

One would be to brown whatever needs browning on the stove and then to use the crockpot (dutch ovens are for slow cooking, even if the intended speed of the recipe might not be AS slow as a crockpot). Another might be to use whatever pot you have that has a tight seal and a thick bottom--e.g. if you have a thickly clad stainless steel pot. If it doesn't conduct heat up the sides well (as dutch ovens do), you may have to factor in stirring and adding more liquid.

That's just my guess. I almost never use recipes but, rather, wing it. And I do have a dutch oven.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just have to run in like a 12 year old boy and at the title
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Just have to run in like a 12 year old boy and at the title
I almost said something when I posted that as the title but tried to hide my immature streak. I have a reputation of Dutch overning people in the car on purpose.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I think you could use any pot that was large enough. I think a lot of times people use the term "dutch oven" to just mean a large pot, of which dutch oven is one type.

That said, I got an enameled cast iron dutch oven about a year ago, and it's a nice pot. There are times I've used it on the stove top then put it in the oven, and it works well for that- but sometimes I skip using it because it's so much heavier/more cumbersome than my regular pots.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a large stock pot i have used for years but I avoided stove to oven recipes (or changed pans). I bought an official kitchen dutch oven (we had one for camping already) for a school project in which I really needed to go from stove to oven in the same pot to make it culturally accurate. I have used it 3 times since for that purpose and many other times as a stove top pot. It is much more like a skillet with sides then my stock pot so it does come in handy. i like having it, but we did fine without it too.