Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to finish nursing?

My son is 16months, we still nurse three times a day, wake up time, after nap, and right before bed. He does not nurse to sleep and occasionally skips the afternoon session when we are away from home. He does not nurse for comfort either. The thing is, my supply has dropped the past week or so and he is fussing about it. We are ttc and I suspect it will drop even more when I'm pregnant (if I'm not already). So, I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and start the weaning process or not? He is a great little eater and drinks from a sippy cup really well. I just wonder if it would be easier with my supply already down? Any input?

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

Advertisement

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Imo, him fussing about not getting enough is your sign hes not ready. Your milk supply may drop, it may not. I nursed through pregnancy and my supply only suffered towards the end of the third. My lo didn't mind a whole lot though. Cut back, and picked right back up after baby was born

Sent from my droid
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I wouldnt try weaning right now if he doesn't seem ready.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
It's up to you. Do you feel ready to be done? If so, then work on weaning. If you're fine nursing still, then keep at it.

There's no need to wean now if you don't want to, but I believe nursing is a relationship that both people involved have to still want to make it work.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy
It's up to you. Do you feel ready to be done? If so, then work on weaning. If you're fine nursing still, then keep at it.

There's no need to wean now if you don't want to, but I believe nursing is a relationship that both people involved have to still want to make it work.
I have mixed feelings about it. It's very uncomfortable when he nurses now. And it doesn't help that he won't stay still, so it's painful sometimes too. But I also know that it can benefit him nutritionally, I just know he's not getting much right now even when he nurses for 20 minutes after he's gotten the last drop. Part of me is ready to be done and part of me wants to hold on to this last little part of his babyhood, since he's ready to PL (so no more diapers) and his independence is growing daily. He's a very cuddly boy, but not while nursing. I also don't want to wait till it will be a major battle either (I don't want to nurse past 2, I'm not comfortable with that at all), we've had enough of those with breaking bad habits formed in crisis. I just don't know, we had such a hard first year with other things, this was the one thing that was consistent and now I'm reluctant to let it go even though I feel like its close to that time. :/

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
FindingMercy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's ok to feel torn about it. It's a major change. I weaned my girls are 22/23 months old. We just slowly over weeks and months dropped a session at a time. To finally completely finish I went away for a while (2 days for our first, a couple weeks for our second while adopting our DS). Both of them were fine when we returned and didn't go back to nursing.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
We are down to once a day, right before bed! I decided to go for it when I found out I was pregnant. I don't want to nurse through pregnancy and I wanted to finish early enough that my son doesn't feel like the new baby is taking his place. I will drop the bedtime in a few more weeks. He has been surprisingly ok with it. He protested the post nap one, but once we dropped the morning too he was fine. I just gave him a snack and some milk in a sippy. The morning was kind of accidental. I had to eat immediately that morning because of morning sickness and so we just went straight down stairs and ate breakfast. We kept that routine and he hasn't even asked for it! He's always happy to get it at bedtime, but I think he'll adjust to that pretty well too. Now that I'm actually weaning him I realize that it is the right time and I no longer have mixed feeling about it.

My i-devices are out to get me, please excuse mistakes.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
FindingMercy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Great!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: When to finish nursing?

Glad it is going so well!!!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote