Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Where do you get non gmo corn?

How do you know? I looked at Trader Joes but I didn't see any that said non gmo. I don't think just organic is the same, right? Can someone help me out?

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Organic = non-gmo
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

There is an app called non GMO and also it is available online. It is a PDF and it has a all the non GMO stuff and brands listed on it.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do you get non gmo corn?

Farmer's market or Whole Foods
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
Organic = non-gmo
Sadly organic doesn't always mean no gmo. We have got in the habit of looking specifically for non-gmo when looking at items. They are getting tricky sadly because so many people don't want GMO food.

So my understanding is sometimes organic can refer to how it is grown, but not always what happened before when it was a seed.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info ladies. Corn just seems to be especially tricky. Well, and then things like cereal and anything made with corn.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm worrying for nothing. That there is not a big enough concern. I read the NON GMO Project webpage and it says that the Monsanto corn hasn't been tested enough to ensure it's safe for consumption. But that also says, to me, that it's not been proven to be harmful. Beyond the study with the rats where it was said to cause abdominal ruptures, I haven't heard anything else. Definitely not saying there isn't. I realize there are other big ramifications for GMO foods. I just don't want to buy into hype that isn't true.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only have antidotal evidence for you. My DH is a scientist though and he tries to look at trends. We have seen in our son that he is allergic to pasteurized dairy. He had all the symptoms of having a milk allergy. Finally I went to raw milk with him and he is fine now. NO problems with dairy (cattle feed is normally GMO).

When I was pregnant with DS (5 years ago) I ate sooooo many peanut butter sandwiches I thought he was going to be a peanut! Last year I started noticing I had minor intestinal problems. Confused I continued to eat normally. Then I got pregnant. It quickly occurred to me that whenever I would eat a peanut butter sandwich with DS, I would have HORRIBLE intestinal issues. I looked into it and "they say" that there is no GMO peanuts that are approved for human consumption, however I also know that where peanuts (or any other crop for that matter) grow, it is likely that other similar crops also grow. I have driven through farmland and this seems to be the way it is. So I am wondering if I am developing an allergy to peanuts at 36 years of age, because of cross pollination between the GMO and non-gmo.

I should note that I haven't noticed a change in DS but it could be that I am not looking hard enough. He did have peanut butter yesterday and his bowel movement was softer then normal today. So he might have the same thing as me but just not complaining of the intestinal issues I was experiencing.

My point with this is something is clearly messing up with the food system. Clearly you don't have to look far to find people with horrible food allergies that are even older. I thought food allergies were just for kids! We are also dealing with a lot of other food related issues that make you go "Hmmm..." One of the ways we can deal with the GMO movement is to make choices that are ANTI-GMO. This seems like a simple idea but it really is effective. Notice the commercials recently saying that Dannon doesn't have HFCS in their yogurt anymore. Companies do listen and pay attention. If we (collective society we) start demanding no GMO's and refusing to purchase products with GMO's then they will go away.

My point with this is if you are uneasy, or don't want your family to be a guinna pig to see if this is safe or not, or anything else, don't feel like you don't have options. I don't know if my son will ever be able to have pasteurized milk again. I don't know if I will be able to have peanuts again. So please do your research before you cause permanent damage to you or your family.

Sorry off my soap box now.