Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homemade peanutbutter

Has anyone made their own peanut butter? I was thinking I could just use my food processor and use raw peanuts and local honey.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
O'sMommy:)
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade peanutbutter

I'm interested as well. I've often thought of making my own peanut butter but not sure how. Do you have a recipe you were thinking of following?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can, but the result will be different than store bought by a fair amount. It will taste lovely though. Keep in mind that nut butters are generally made by grinding rather than chopping. Grinding releases more of oil from the nuts and makes a better spread. When using your food processor, you may find it helpful to add another oil of some kind. I also find that warming the nuts in the oven or a sauté pan for a few minutes also helps release more oils.

If you can find unsalted cashews, cashews make an awesome spread. You can make homemade Nutella too. I used to make a lot of homemade nut butters until our grocery store installed grinders. I've gotten rather spoiled!
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not done peanut butter but I make cashew butter from time to time. I just toss cashews into my ninja and process until smooth. If I don't feel they are getting smooth enough I may add a bit of coconut oil to them but if I am just using them as the base of snack bars for the boys (in place of peanut butter) I don't bother. Tharen loves cashew butter and it is fun to make at home. I don't know that it comes out any cheaper though.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'sMommy:) View Post
I'm interested as well. I've often thought of making my own peanut butter but not sure how. Do you have a recipe you were thinking of following?
no recipe, just trying to simplify it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
You can, but the result will be different than store bought by a fair amount. It will taste lovely though. Keep in mind that nut butters are generally made by grinding rather than chopping. Grinding releases more of oil from the nuts and makes a better spread. When using your food processor, you may find it helpful to add another oil of some kind. I also find that warming the nuts in the oven or a sauté pan for a few minutes also helps release more oils.

If you can find unsalted cashews, cashews make an awesome spread. You can make homemade Nutella too. I used to make a lot of homemade nut butters until our grocery store installed grinders. I've gotten rather spoiled!
Adding the oil is a good idea! I didnt think of that.

For the Nutella, you would just add cocoa powder? Would the honey be enough to sweeten it you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I have not done peanut butter but I make cashew butter from time to time. I just toss cashews into my ninja and process until smooth. If I don't feel they are getting smooth enough I may add a bit of coconut oil to them but if I am just using them as the base of snack bars for the boys (in place of peanut butter) I don't bother. Tharen loves cashew butter and it is fun to make at home. I don't know that it comes out any cheaper though.
OOOO coconut oil and cocoa powder with cashew butter sounds AMAZING!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates
For the Nutella, you would just add cocoa powder? Would the honey be enough to sweeten it you think?
Yup, just cocoa powder. Since you're adding something dry, it will require a little extra oil to balance it out. And I generally just use honey for sweetening. I like agave too.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make my own peanut butter in my Ninja. I use molasses and sea salt and process. Then scrap down the sides and add a little canola oil. I have tried all sorts of peanuts and unsalted, dry roasted are the best in my opinion with the equipment I use. I tried raw Spanish peanuts and it never got smooth and tasted awful. Sometimes I use honey but the color is lighter and taste is different.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't use anything but peanut butter and a very small amount of eevo. I have also have almond butter this way. I never add a sweetener and my kids don't seem to mind
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just made some today actually! And it is better than store pb! Yes you can run it through your food processor and keep whirling it around for longer than just when it starts to turn into butter. A few more minutes and it will be super creamy. I scrape down the sides too. You don't need to add honey or oil, peanuts are full of their own oils...but honey peanut butter definitely is tasty and the last 2 times I made it I did add honey.

Cashew butter I don't think I can keep that stuff around. I made it once or twice and it was super yummy. Cashews are too expensive for us anyway.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote