Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Breastfeeding update..

I knew that it was going to be an uphill battle for me to breastfeed exclusively with my breast reduction surgery but I was and still am dead set on facing it head on. For the past two weeks I have been tried, tested and feel like I failed. Even though it was 18 years ago the effects of my reduction still linger. At our 1 week appointment LO still had not gained the appropriate amount of weight. He only had gained 1 oz from leaving the hospital. At our 2 week appointment yesterday the doctor sat me down and spoke to me about supplementation. I have been latching LO as much as possible and pumping extra time after every feed. At this point I am exhausted, frustrated and just feel let down in a way. I’ve been working with a lactation consultant due to my condition and because our latch started out horribly. She suggested using an SNS system with the expressed milk but at this point I do not express enough to be able to fulfill his needs. After feedings I can sometimes express (using a Pump in Style) ½ ounce to 1 ounce max (this is the collective amount from both breasts not per breast).

I keep telling myself the important thing is that his needs are being met. Obviously him being fed is the most important thing so that he is able to thrive and grow. It was just hard to accept that what I could provide was not enough, even though I knew it was a huge possibility. At the moment he is taking 4-5 oz a day of formula and the rest is provided by me. I am taking a “more milk special blend” from Motherlove and soon will be getting a hospital grade pump as per the suggestion of my LC. I enjoy the night breaking AM hours since my breasts seem to be fuller and I’m able to feed him without needing to reach for any special device. In the end , with the frustrations and all… I guess I just feel lucky enough to be able to provide him with any breastmilk at all and hope that it can continue even if at a minimum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I guess I just needed to vent.

Linda, Wife to DH S 1/17/10, Mom to DS 2/13/03 A , 3/25/13 D & E 10/8/14
nachoslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding update..

You're doing the best thing you can for your baby. Many mom's (who could EBF just fine) wouldn't put in half the effort that you have. Good luck and keep trying! And remember, some of your exhaustion would be there no matter what. Having a newborn is exhausting, even without feeding complications! You are not a failure at all! You're an awesome mama!
Mom to baby boy, Samuel Born: 12/28/12

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Registered Users
If you are doing what is best for you and your baby then you are a success not a failure. It is wonderful that you are even trying and it would be great if you could EBF. However, you do what you need to do in order to keep you and your LO healthy an happy, including using formula. It isn't evil and was made for a reason. Congrats so far mama and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Registered Users
Keep up the great work! Keep pumping and drink a lot of water. You are doing a great job. Any milk is better than no milk.
WOHM and to Jon (6/2006). Mamma to daughter Elli (12/2009) and Jacob (11/2012) Crazy Florida Gator fan , beach bum, and outdoor enthusiast!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote