Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
gehagge's Avatar
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 552
Should I apply?

Just looking for some advice...sorry this is a little long.

I'm currently a teacher at a really great school. So is DH. I've been feeling like it's time for a change, and so I applied for a few positions at the local community college (I have my master's in math) and have yet to hear about it, though I should hear back in the next day or so.

We'd also love to get closer to family, which is at least a 2 day drive away at the moment, so we don't see them much. We agree that we would not move away from our current situation (yes, it's that great) unless the new job were a step up or just quite a bit better than what we currently have. He applied for an assistant athletic director position (which is a step up and what he wants to do) in the city where my parents live. I just found out that there is an opening for a math teacher at a high school in the same city.

My dilemma is this: Should I apply for the math teacher opening given the following: if DH doesn't get the job he applied for, we would not consider moving. Also, the two jobs are not in the same school district and my job would be at my alma mater (and there's several teachers/families who would know me and if I were applying/accept/decline the job). I don't have a problem with teaching there, it would just make me feel badly to decline the job if I had to.

What will complicate this further is if I get offered the job at the community college...

Advertisement

gehagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
CarrieMF's Avatar
CarrieMF
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alberta/Saskatchewan
Posts: 6,545
My Mood:
Re: Should I apply?

I would apply. If you don't you won't have the opportunity to move back there. There is nothing wrong with turning down a job if they offer it to you.
__________________
Carrie
CarrieMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
jamieism's Avatar
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Princeton NJ
Posts: 3,509
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
I would apply. If you don't you won't have the opportunity to move back there. There is nothing wrong with turning down a job if they offer it to you.
This
__________________
Jamie, anthropologist mom to O (12-18-99), E (12-30-04) and R (4-22-10) Married to my best friend .
jamieism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
gehagge's Avatar
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 552
Re: Should I apply?

So, I actually did apply because the Executive Director of the school (who was my speech teacher in high school!) contacted me and asked me to. I got the job, and they even had a job for DH as well. We turned both jobs down, which I was very open with them that the likelihood of me taking the job was very small, so they weren't overly shocked. The job he applied for in the other district isn't going to interview until the end of May, so we'll see what happens with that. We decided that if he gets that job, we'll move and I will just sub or do online tutoring (being a math teacher, I should be in demand), and if he doesn't we'll stay because I will be part time at the school we are at and I would rather do that since we'll have a newborn next year.
gehagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Western Oregon
Posts: 7,162
My Mood:
Re: Should I apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I would apply. If you don't you won't have the opportunity to move back there. There is nothing wrong with turning down a job if they offer it to you.
I agree. I've so far applied to grad school and a TA position at that school, and 2 school districts. First to offer me a job was a school district, in a school I love. So I took it. I will have to turn down the grad school, and the TA position if offered me. I feel bad telling my advisor, but I had to take the first great opportunity to present itself.

My first season applying for teaching jobs I applied for 3, ended up with interviews all in the same week, and a job offer from each within 3 days. I took the weekend to think it over, and accepted one on Monday and turned down the other 2. There weren't any hard feelings and everyone was really nice about it.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.