View Poll Results: Why do disposables stink more?
Not use to smell vs cloth (my dh's theory) 6 11.32%
The chemicals intensify the smell 26 49.06%
Cloth holds the smell in better 3 5.66%
All sposies stink even before use 13 24.53%
Other ... because there is alway an other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
I never noticed the smell of sposies with my first 5 (I started cloth when #5 was 15 months) or when using them part time with # 5 but now, after not having any in the house for over 1 and 1/2 years, they reek. My sister uses them on her LO who is 5 months younger thank youngest and the smell is overwhelming.

m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sposie stink with poll

I used a Seventh Generation disposible for the first time in a month or so (it was my last one, so figured I'd use it) and it stunk horrible! I used to use disposibles at night/ when going out and I never remembered that smell. So maybe I was just accustomed to it. My loth rarely smells (except sometimes her nighttime diaper)
Single mama to my sweet little girl [03/27/2012]
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by The3LittleBerkhs View Post
I said the sposies stink before the urine...because they do At least to me. Even the cheapie ones. They just have an over powering chemical smell; it gives me a headache.

I do have a very sensitive nose, though.

But once a baby pees in a sposie, I think the urine and chemicals make it smell even worse. Even if I didn't use cloth and used a sposie every single day, I don't think I'd ever get used to it.
Yep, me too.

We had DD in sposies for a short while and I really disliked them. I could constantly smell them, which I didn't like, it was a chemically smell, but once she peed in them It really, really bothered me and seemed very strong. I could tell the minute she peed from the chemical smell.

I do have to say though that sposies didn't always smell this bad to me. I think it's because I'm used to cloth and we've also eliminated a ton of scents from our household. I'm pretty sensitive to it now.
AP, Crunchy, Thrifty Momma to Jack (2/10) and Molly (1/13) Wife to Mark (6/08) who usually can be persuaded to go along with my crazy ideas
Check out our story at The Good Stuff
Stefibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Registered Users

I deffiently thing some brand of disposables smell worse than others. Scented like pampers and luvs really reek especially when poo mixes with pee. Others aren't as bad.. Wet paper though has an odor.. I think cloth over night with concentrated pee though also smells especially more breathable set ups. It jsut doesn't last as long.
I can not spell and have no phone to blame things on.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

I agree with your DH. To me, sposies stink. To my friends, cloth stink. It's all in what you are used to smelling.

ETA: before I started using cloth, I never noticed the "sposie stink" Now I do.
April + Stephen = Eva, Reese, and Baby 3.0 (due Nov '14)
ajbailey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
We've used both. I would say cloth holds the smell in way better. Or it's the chemicals in the sposies.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hilary, head over heels wifey of a Coastie
Mama of Aubrey & Delaney
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Registered Users

Right before I switched we were using Luvs, and I don't remember them smelling awful with my older girls, but WOW. I put up with one pack, and on the second I started having asthma attacks and feeling sick. We switched mostly because of blowouts, but this rushed things along.

DH put one on her the other day and was sick because of the stink when she peed. It must not be noticeable when you use them daily, but MAN, it is when you don't.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:
I feel like it's a mixture of the pee and chemicals. The smells are so much more noticeable to me in disposables.
lindsaydud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

I still remember the smell of opening a bag of sposies, yuck. I also can smell when my niece or nephew are wet from across the room (in a sposie). I could smell dd in cloth too, but it was a different smell (and not from across the room). So both types of diapers smelled when used, but the sposies were stronger smelling in my opinion (with the exception of toddler overnight diapers, those can get pretty potent no matter what dd was wearing )
Christian family. Psalm 63:3-4 "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands."
nebraskamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
Registered Users
My son uses sposies at night and on vacation and the worst smell is right when he pees for the first time. It's so strong it burns my nose and sometimes my eyes!!
ParkersMommy7611 is offline   Reply With Quote