Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
If it made you sick isn't that a sign of GD? There isn't really anything unsafe about sugar, but there is a lot unsafe about gd if not diagnosed.
It makes me sick and I've never had GD.

But - and I mean this in the least snarky way possible - it seems odd to me that you'll eat ice cream, yet in the same breath you claim that Glucola isn't healthy. Ice cream is a far cry from healthy, too. What are your specific concerns?

I'd compromise on this one, honestly. I've taken the 3 hour test twice; it sucks, it made me ill, but it was over in a few hours and life went on.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post

But - and I mean this in the least snarky way possible - it seems odd to me that you'll eat ice cream, yet in the same breath you claim that Glucola isn't healthy. Ice cream is a far cry from healthy, too. What are your specific concerns?

I'd compromise on this one, honestly. I've taken the 3 hour test twice; it sucks, it made me ill, but it was over in a few hours and life went on.
I have to agree here. I totally understand your frustration, but I wonder if here might be a good place to compromise. Ice cream isn't too hot (no pun intended...lol. I cracked myself up over that. Been a long day!)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu

Just doesn't make much sense. You carb loaded for dinner and got a high reading....which could put you in the GD range. A normal healthy person should be able to tolerate some pasta and ice cream for dinner and have normal sugar levels.

I would do the GD test because some hospitals will take the newborn to the nursery for a 24 hour hold to watch their blood sugars in moms who skipped or passed on the GD test.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried to refuse and my insurance bcbs ppo required it and my doctor said she would have to stop seeing me if I refused to take it, i took it and passed, but still I was kinda irritated with the whole situation.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also no matter what u eat, you shouldn't have elevated bs levels, thats because ur body would produce enough insulin to prevent them from being elevated, my son is type 1 which is totally different, but I have had to read my fair share on diabetes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I get really sick from the drink as well. I did the 1 hour test 3 times this last pregnancy, and refused to do the 3 hour until I had a borderline result with the final one. There is nothing wrong with you for getting sick drinking liquid sugar. Nobody shouldbe able totolerate that much sugar without adverse effects. I was violently ill for days after all of my tests a d aside from a high bmi had no other risk factors. My midwives were absolutely suportive thankfully. One of them believes glucose intolerance is not a product of pregnancy, that it was either there all along waiting to be diagnosed or that it was something that would present eventually. I would remind her that you are in charge of any and every decision regarding your body and pregnancy. You can refuse all tests and still demand the birth experience that you want.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajiggles View Post
I get really sick from the drink as well. I did the 1 hour test 3 times this last pregnancy, and refused to do the 3 hour until I had a borderline result with the final one. There is nothing wrong with you for getting sick drinking liquid sugar. Nobody shouldbe able totolerate that much sugar without adverse effects. I was violently ill for days after all of my tests a d aside from a high bmi had no other risk factors. My midwives were absolutely suportive thankfully. One of them believes glucose intolerance is not a product of pregnancy, that it was either there all along waiting to be diagnosed or that it was something that would present eventually. I would remind her that you are in charge of any and every decision regarding your body and pregnancy. You can refuse all tests and still demand the birth experience that you want.
She's actually kind of right. I don't remember the actual statistic but women who are diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes during pregnancy are much more likely to be diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in the future.

** Found it, it's 7 times more likely to be diagnosed with DM II in the future.

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 04-13-2013 at 05:36 PM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajiggles
You can demand any birth experience you want, but they can choose not to have you as a patient.

I would probably just do the 3 hour test.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

I bet there is policy that if any of your daily checks for the week come back high that they run the 3hr test.
It's nice that they compromised and allowed you to do that instead of the 1-hr test. Of all the things that could be forced upon you the 3hr glucose test would not be the one I throw a big fight over. Sounds like you may have to battle for something else further down the road, my advice is to pick your battles wisely.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I usually eat very healthy and the ice cream was a rare thing. My sugars were barely above the norm on the 1hr test and the one test that I did at home.
I already follow the gd diet and have been testing and it is completely fine.
I understand that there are a lot of tests and procedures that I will have to fight for but I refuse to cave on one just because it not that bad of a test for some. If I cave every time it's easier to jut listen to them then I feel like I will be easier to push around :/ its something I am against and I would prefer not to be diagnosed with no symptoms. Refusing the test doesn't mean I have gd. It means I would prefer not to pump my body full of chemical dyes and flavorings when I could just test my sugars at home.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote