Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meal Planning

I have to get back into this. It was so helpful when we were doing it. My husband and I eat differently now though so it's a bit confusing. One thing that really helps, though, is to write down a list of ideas for meals just before going to get groceries - basing meal ideas off stuff that's in the fridge or pantry that needs to be used up. I also didn't try to do "Monday is ----, Tuesday is ----," etc. Instead it was 7-8 dinner ideas that we could do any day depending on what we felt like eating. Also, you could write a list of things you eat a lot of; certain dishes are definitely weekly staples for us. I'm trying to do some freezer cooking too, to save on some time eventually.

Advertisement

Last edited by mel j; 02-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j
I have to get back into this. It was so helpful when we were doing it. My husband and I eat differently now though so it's a bit confusing. One thing that really helps, though, is to write down a list of ideas for meals just before going to get groceries - basing meal ideas off stuff that's in the fridge or pantry that needs to be used up. I also didn't try to do "Monday is ----, Tuesday is ----," etc. Instead it was 7-8 dinner ideas that we could do any day depending on what we felt like eating. Also, you could write a list of things you eat a lot of; certain dishes are definitely weekly staples for us. I'm trying to do some freezer cooking too, to save on some time eventually.
Yes I would love to hear more too!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
judyjudyjudy
Registered Users
seller

I try to think of a type of cuisine for the main meal that I make on Sunday or Monday and then do another type every other day with simple in-between. Example:

M: Lentil Tacos
T: Smoothies & Toast
W: Pasta & Veggies
TH: Hummus w/ Pita & Veggies
F: Big Green Salad w/ grilled potatoes & onions

We eat leftovers for lunch which is great to not have to think about lunch ideas too.

I also use the calendar on my computer to make an "event" that is recurring and then I make some thing recur every month or every other week if we eat it a lot. I try to keep Sunday simple with either waffles & fruit or smoothies & toast or breakfast burritos. I think it's great to throw breakfast as dinner into the mix because those meals are usually easy to make.
judyjudyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Kshoo Design
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It takes alot to plan meals. Just surround yourself with a good cookbook and you should do fine!
Kshoo Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly
I do it out of necessity. I don't get home until 5:30 most nights so if I'm not prepared with a meal idea we eat sandwiches or mac n cheese. I use the printable from this site...right now I'm using 2 copies...but I may create one similar with more blocks at the top. I color-coordinate all the ingredients needed for the meals with that printable...the stuff I have in black, the stuff I need in another color.

I plan based on a few things. First I look at my week and note if there is a night that I know we will be eating away from home or a night that will require a quick meal. Then I look at the meats and supplies I have in my pantry. Lastly I look at sales and see what is cheap that week.

I try to plan based on leftovers too. Like on Friday we had steak for supper. I knew we would have leftovers so I planned tonight's meal to use the leftovers. If I know I'm making 2 chicken dishes that week I try to cook it all at once to save time.

I usually plan on Thursday or Friday because that's when I shop. But you could plan at any time. I tried several different apps and printables before I found one that worked for me.

I also have a list of all the meals I make hanging on my fridge. I have them categorized by main meat for the meal so if I know I have a pound of ground turkey in the fridge but I'm not sure what to make with it I glance at the list and realize we haven't had goulash in a month...and I add it to the menu.
This is what I do.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took out my South Beach diet cook books and away I went, we have meals planned for a week!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bump. I am hoping to get more ideas on the M-S plan
perhaps M is fish, tuesday salad and soup, w- meat w veggies

I just need a set thing. we did this long ago but w 6 different peoples needs, I gave up. we are constantly scrambling to make food last minute now