Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Good tasting Tofu Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMia View Post
Well I have a family of 4, so we always use the whole block, and I press it right before using it. Trust me though, it makes a world of difference in the taste. Plus if you choose to marinate it afterward, it soaks up more of the flavor. When we first went on a vegan or whole foods, plant-based diet, we didn't like tofu that much at all. Now we love it.
That makes sense - I am usually the only one eating it, and I eat 1/4-1/3 block at a time. It would definitely make sense that it sucks up more marinade after pressing, since it's basically a protein sponge. I'll give it a try for my next curry dinner, but I think I'll stick to wet tofu for snacking

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Good tasting Tofu Recipes

I press tofu and it takes about two-3 days to get the moisture out or you can buy it pressed and marinated (but dh prefers I do it so it isn't already marinated). I press it (on a cutting board with a plate and a couple of cans on top) for about an hour to let it drain. Then I put it in the freezer in a freezer bag or other freezer container. I take it out and move it to the fridge to thaw then press again to achieve full moisture removal. This technique has worked very well and allows the tofu to absorb more flavor. If you want to prevent the tofu from being too sponge like dredge it in a bit of flour (I use rice flour) and fry it for a few minutes before cooking. I use it in stir frys, soups and curries. I also use silken tofus to replace cheese in some recipes. I will say I have been eating tofu since I was a small child so I am used to the flavor and so are my kids. I have had to train dh to eat it.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

I've had great results sautéing diced tofu and veggies in a little toasted sesame oil.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with the recommendation to press it first and then marinade. If you press for about 20 minutes and then marinade ten to 20 minutes before baking or frying it works well.
I usually improvise a marinade made of broth, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and some herbs/spices.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote