Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: My 3-month-old hasn't gained anything in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
He does have a tongue and lip tie, grade 3 (where 4 is the worst). His release procedure will be on Friday morning.
Glad they are going to fix it fast!!

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 3-month-old hasn't gained anything in a month.

Yeah, I scheduled the procedure when I scheduled the eval (and they usually do the eval and procedure all at once on the same day) but DH wanted to come to the eval, and he works on Friday but is off today, so that's why we split it up.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 3mo hasn't gained in a month - tongue/lip tie release on 4/12

We are home now from our UTT/LT revision this morning. He didn't nurse immediately after the procedure, but I think it was for two reasons. One is they offered me an unused dental exam chair to nurse in, and the whole area smelled like a dentist's office. The other is that he was still a little cranky from being messed with. I wanted to feed him before we left because we had a long drive home, and I didn't want him to be hungry all of a sudden on the way, so gave him a paci and waited in the waiting room for him to calm down, and he finally did calm down enough to nurse.

I didn't realize that nursing him had been painful until it suddenly wasn't.

I also met with an IBCLC this morning after we got home, and Josiah is going to have to go through a process of re-learning how to suck correctly. She gave me a few exercises to do with him to help him learn how to use his new tongue. He was tired when I tried them with him, but I'll keep working with him.

I found out that I do not need to wake him up at night to do the stretches, and instead just to do them throughout the day. Being able to watch the dental assistant do them and have her explain where to push and how much pressure to use was immensely more helpful than just the written instructions, and I was able to successfully do his first stretch a few minutes ago, right before I laid him down for a nap.

I'll be glad when the white scab forms, because right now, his poor lip and tongue look like they have a gigantic ulcer. I wish I'd seen a picture of the immediate post-op appearance beforehand so it wasn't so shocking to me.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Poor baby. Hopefully this will help soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

My DS didn't have his lip tie revised, but he did have his tongue tie clipped. It made such a difference. Are they having you massage the underside of his tongue 2x a day for a week or so to make sure it doesn't re-adhere?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
My DS didn't have his lip tie revised, but he did have his tongue tie clipped. It made such a difference. Are they having you massage the underside of his tongue 2x a day for a week or so to make sure it doesn't re-adhere?
Well, they told me to "stretch" it (and the lip tie) 4x a day, but I'm going to switch to a massage, I think, for some or all of the stretches. Less emotionally traumatizing to both of us that way.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

72 hours out and the little diamond-shaped scab under his mouth is about half the size it was, and the whole thing feels firm underneath like cartilage. And he seems to be reverting to a shallow latch and he just spit up his entire first feeding of the day. :/ Maybe I should have just saved $600 and left well enough alone and not done the revision at all if it was just going to end up going back to the way it was before.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
72 hours out and the little diamond-shaped scab under his mouth is about half the size it was, and the whole thing feels firm underneath like cartilage. And he seems to be reverting to a shallow latch and he just spit up his entire first feeding of the day. :/ Maybe I should have just saved $600 and left well enough alone and not done the revision at all if it was just going to end up going back to the way it was before.
How's it going today? Thinking about you guys and hoping for improvement!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Two weeks ago, he was 11 lb 5.9 oz on an empty stomach. Today, he was 11 lb 6.7 oz on an empty stomach. I nursed him on both sides, then he had a wet and dirty diaper and we weighed him again and he was 11 lb 10 oz. I don't know what to think.

His followup from his procedure went well, though, and he's healing nicely, they said.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry everything has been so rough for you. I would encourage you to rent a scale and do a 24 hour pre and post feed weigh. It gave me the most clear picture of what was going on. It took me getting to the end of my rope before I did that.

Are you pumping to help maintain your supply?