Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hand, foot and mouth?!? HELP!

Well, DS got a fever Saturday morning, and it finally went away Monday night. Last night we noticed a rash on his belly and back, and it's still there this morning...so we went to the ped. She looked him over,checked his hands and feet and said he has hand, foot, and mouth. She said he has sores in his throat, and she showed me something on his hand that she said was a lesion (just looks like a red bump). Is a rash on the back and belly common with this? I guess maybe I'm not totally convinced?? Also, if it is HF&M, I'm 28 weeks pregnant...do I need to call my OB? Or should I be ok?0

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
jandymordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hand, foot and mouth?!? HELP!

My DS1 got HF&M when I was pregnant with DS2. I certainly caught the virus too, and it felt like a nasty flu for me. I only got a couple bumps on my hands. It was even nastier for my husband, who seemed to have had it the worst of any of us. It certainly never hurts to be in communication with your OB, but since it is a virus, there is likely very little they will do for you but tell you to alert them if things go awry. Good luck. It will be over before you know it!
jandymordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandymordan
My DS1 got HF&M when I was pregnant with DS2. I certainly caught the virus too, and it felt like a nasty flu for me. I only got a couple bumps on my hands. It was even nastier for my husband, who seemed to have had it the worst of any of us. It certainly never hurts to be in communication with your OB, but since it is a virus, there is likely very little they will do for you but tell you to alert them if things go awry. Good luck. It will be over before you know it!
Hoping we don't get it! I called and left a message for my OB just in case. When your DS had it where was his rash? I'm just stumped since its on his belly and back?!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have never had it, but nephew got it over xmas, couldn't eat or anything , got from his younger cousins. All of the cousins(Europe) got it, my sister and mother didn't get it as bad, more mouth rash/sores.

So very very contagious for a long time I believe is the problem.....
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I'm with ya. Dd started a fever Monday that was gone by Tuesday afternoon. I thought she was teething since her hands had been in her mouth for days but then I found little blisters in her mouth too. It's HFM for sure. It can present in the mouth, torso, hands and feet and bum.

And yes, it's EXTREMELY contagious. I can it pray my three other kids don't get it and neither do Dh or I.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
jandymordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No rash. he had bumps on his hands, a few on his feet and a couple in his mouth. started with a fever and flu like symptoms. the only rash he ever had was when he had the roseola virus. that came after a nasty fever too...
jandymordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son just had it--and passed it to his cousins and me. I'm 20 weeks pregnant. There's nothing to do about it really. It sucked for a few days for all of us but we survived.

He had sores on his feet, hands, bottom, mouth, and a little in his torso. I had it on my hands, feet, and mouth.

Doctor didn't even have to look at my son and knew what it was. Confirmed by checking the spots, but she knew beforehand just by symptoms.

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I got it this past winter (again...I had it in university too.. ) and then dd2 got it from me. I had it the worst in that the sores were in my mouth and holy cow it was sore. I mean agony to eat. I think all I ate was icecream for a week. Just moving my tongue in order to eat hurt.

dd2 was not really bothered by the whole thing.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD2 had it last summer, she had a rash on her belly and her back, she had the blisters all over her legs, feet and hands as well as sores in her mouth and a fever.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had it when I was pg with my youngest dd (she's 10 now). I had blood work to confirm the diagnosis. I was at 32-33 weeks and felt really crappy for about 10 days but then it blew over. My ob wasn't worried about it though I also got the chicken pox that same pregnancy so after the pox a couple months earlier HFM wasn't so bad.

mom to 3 girls and one little boy
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote