Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Car seats by plane *updated* airline refusing the seats on the plane

Different airlines have different rules and you have to comply with them. It is common for foreign airlines to not allow car seats on board.

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Is there any way that you could have someone meet you at the airport when you arrive with new seats? Or that one of you could stay at the airport with the kids while the other runs out and purchases new seats? Seems to me like it makes more sense to buy new ones than pay $135 each to check the seats that you already have.

Again, I would suggest that you ask about this on the Aircraft & other transportation forum at car-seat.org and see if anyone has advice. There are people there with lots of international travel experience who might know of a better solution for you.

Advertisement

jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #22
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

no one can meet us there, no where there to find an extended rear facing seat like DD's. and both cost more than the 135 (hers was like 800)

so I guess we have to put them under if they won't allow them. not sure why if they were under 2 we can but over 2 it's a "security risk"
Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
maramarrie
Registered Users
seller

Wow! What ERF seat costs $800???
I'm sorry it seems like you have very few options here. I agree with asking on the other board since there are so many people with more international travel experience. It seems that if you aren't able to get new seats at your destination the only option might be paying more to check the seats in a box (or shipping them ahead of you). It stinks since you were hoping to save with the cheaper tickets, but hopefully your trip will end up going smoothly.
maramarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would look on their site and see if they offer a discount for pre-buying an extra baggage credit, I know some do. If not I would just take the seats to check in and expect to pay, but if you get too use them be very happy.

We brought our US seat over here when we moved, and had to check ours, and it showed up looking fine, we checked ours at the gate. Yeah, it's a risk, but carseats survive shipping and people dragging them around airports, so if you have to check them you just have to check them, is how I look at it.

I also know what you mean about bringing US seats to Europe. While I am not sure where you are moving, I know the UK turns FF at 9 months, so almost nothing seats bigger kids RF at all. The seats here are super trim and I love that, but otherwise things are very different here. It probably is not 100% legal to use my US seat here, but who will know, and in my case it is in the exact same car as it was in the US so how is it possibly less safe? So for me I chance it, for the one person who might recognize it as a "unapproved" seat.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote