Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I work, but DH is a SAHD. We sent our oldest kiddo to preschool and are happy we did. She is a very social child and seriously LOVES it so much. Preschool is very pricey here it seems. It was a large financial strain, but it was affordable for us. Had it been a situation where paying for it would have threatened our ability to get by, we would have of course skipped it. Anywho, we have plans to send our youngest too when he is about 3 1/2 (a little over a year from now). I've heard many kindergarten teachers comment on how they can tell which kids went to preschool because the kids know the drill. But that is all stuff that any kid can pick up quick. Long story short, we did and will do it again. We think it is great. But I don't think that not doing it is going to prevent your kiddo from getting into Harvard.

Advertisement

Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Preschool or not to Preschool - That is the question

With #1, I had planned on doing a homeschool preschool. However, I had 4 kids in 4 1/2 years, and I was seriously stressing out about it. My mom offered to pay for his preschool that was just 2 days a week in the home of a friend. It was a lifesaver. Sure, he would have done fine without any preschool at all, but he enjoyed going and doing something that was all his. He was the big kid that got to go school. Since then, I've sent my others to the same kind of in-home preschool. My almost 5 year old misses the deadline for kindergarten this year and he is so anxious to go to school already. He's always asking me for worksheets. So I know he'll especially enjoy preschool.

Long story short, I don't think kids "need" preschool, so don't feel like you have to send them. I definitely don't feel like it's worth paying for 2 years of preschool. But, if you can, I think it's a good prep for kindergarten and gets them used to spending a few hours a week away from mom and dad.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Any others care to share their experience?
newmom98118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
kanga1622
Registered Users

My DH is a preschool teacher and we likely won't be sending DS to preschool at 3 and maybe not at all. He gets plenty of socialization at daycare and we work with him on colors, letters, etc.

I'd like him to get some sort of half day schooling to help him adjust but unfortunately the only way to do that here is with preschool.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS1 is in preschool this year. He is 3.5 and goes 2 days a week for 2.5 hrs. I wanted to get him in early so he would be ready for kindergarten. He is a very energetic and smart boy and I wanted to get him used to a routine before he actually had to start school. I try to do homeschooling stuff with him but he loves to argue with me and say he can't do stuff, even though he is perfectly capable of it. I find he is a lot more willing to do things when he is around other kids his age. Right now he is enrolled for next year, but the only opening they had was for 5 days a week for 2.5 hrs, so I may end up pulling him because I don't want him away from me that much since I go to school in the evenings. DS2, who will be 2, is signed up for 1 day a week next year because he is always so excited to go drop his brother off and loves to go play with the other kids for a few minutes. I really like that it gives them time to interact with other kids their age.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I'm considering whether or not to send my dd to preschool in the fall. I'm a WOHM and dh is the SAHD. If I were home I have the patience and creativity to do things, and would take her to story time etc, but dh doesn't have a knack for those things. Dd loves Sunday school and I know she would love preschool. There's a 2 day a week option for 2.5 hours each day, which seems perfect. However dh feels like it will be a waste of money. I'm not concerned about academics so much as I am her having socialization and fun. Academics is just an added bonus.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a nanny (grandma comes to my house) and we still preschool even though she works with them. Where I live, most kids go to 3 years of preschool. Most of the local programs start at 2, and many start at 18 months.

For us, it isn't about academics. It is about learning to sit for large group instruction. It is about having a caretaker while mom is gone for awhile. It is about doing messy craft projects that mom would never think of at home. It is about meeting kids away from mom and dad. It is about waiting your turn while the teacher helps someone else. It is about broadening her comfort being cared for by other loving adults outside of our family.

The academics are all gravy.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 3 we send our kids to preschool 1 day a week for 2 1/2 hours and at 4 they go twice a week for 2 1/2 hours. It isn't about acedemics - that short of a time isn't going to do much unless I'm working with them at home. It isn't even completely for socialization (even though it helped dd2 a lot since she's so shy). It's to help them learn what school is about and to just have fun. I wouldn't do it if it weren't fun for them. They also learn to sit when someone else tells them to sit, raise their hand and in general listen to a teacher who is not me. I'm typically always with my kids so it is nice that they can learn to listen to another adult for short periods before they start K. Ultimately it's all about having fun though. We can afford it though - I don't know if I'd do it if it would be rough on our budget.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

I should mention that it's for 3 full days (that's as part time as you can go). We went for a 2.5 hour visit, the teacher is great but there was definitely an overtone of crowd control (15 3 and 4 year olds and 2 teachers). DS loved it but the room was FULL of toys he'd never seen so of course he loved it.
newmom98118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

In my town I found a couple "tutelage model" options for homeschoolers starting at preschool age. So my son goes one morning a week. In the afternoon after he gets home we play with activities from MFW Preschool cards or Williamson Little Hands books. The rest of the week we homeschool preschool using level 4 of this curriculum. Starting in the fall he'll move up to the prek class, which meets one full day a week. He'll be on the final level of the curriculum I previously linked the rest of the week.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey

Last edited by AVeryHappyMama; 04-22-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Getting link to work
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote