Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
GMO question...

I should know this but I don't.

If I get something that is imported from Europe (say Germany for instance), since they don't allow GMO's over there, it would be GMO free right?

I wanted to make sure I understand the rules.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
I should know this but I don't.

If I get something that is imported from Europe (say Germany for instance), since they don't allow GMO's over there, it would be GMO free right?

I wanted to make sure I understand the rules.
Not exactly. I am not an expert on this. But having recently moved to Italy, I'm finding that a lot of the "that is how its done in Europe" things we are told in the US are not always true. Here's a quote from http://www.genewatch.org/sub-568547 (which, tbh, I have no idea if its legitimate source, but most everything else that google pops up seems to agree with what is stated here

"GM crops and food can enter Europe as food, animal feed, or biofuels. GM food and feed must be approved by EU regulators and must be labelled, but meat and dairy products produced from animals fed on GM feed are not required to be labelled. In 2011, the EU decided to allow low levels of unapproved GM crops in animal feed. GM crops can be grown experimentally with approval from national regulators, or commercially if approved by the EU."
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's interesting and really sad :-( thanks for the info. It's getting harder and harder to stay away from GM foods.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Ruthk33
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: GMO question...

I know Peru has banned all GMO food for the next seven years. I need to find the article on this but my friend was telling me about it. At least food from there should be safe.
Ruthk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Ruthk33
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: GMO question...

http://www.peruviantimes.com/17/ten-year-ban-on-genetically-modified-seeds-and-foods-takes-force-thursday/17479/

Here it is
Ruthk33 is offline   Reply With Quote