Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do homeschooled kids do homework?

Not mine.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
As a side note, I think public schoolers have WAY too much homework. They're already at school for eight hours a day, for goodness sake.
I totally agree!! If I didn't already know I'd be tempted to ask, what are they doing with all the time?!

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.

Last edited by MakingHome; 04-22-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Misspelled a word typing on my phone and I'm anal about spelling.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, not really . DD is to read a book before bed but I don't consider it homework . I also may have her work on a project on her own time if we need it to be done.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. Although, we have done things like read alouds for History or a science review in the van when we are headed somewhere. Honestly that is more of something to do instead of my children having their heads stuck in their electronic device of choice. But, they see it as homework.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Well we don't have homework here. Unless you just mean work done at home, in which case that would be all of it, lol. They do have some work they do independently but it is during regular school time.

As a side note, I think public schoolers have WAY too much homework. They're already at school for eight hours a day, for goodness sake.
This.

I have no interest in my kids doing homework. Thats one reason we homeschool. My kids dont need to be doing 6-7 hours of school then 1-2 hours of homework.

So we do our regular school by 11:00 am then the rest of the day is free. (My teenagers do school in the afternoons but its all online and auto graded). As long as they do 30 lessons a week we are good.

But no we dont give extra work like PS would.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
IMHO, not really. However, I sometimes do tell my son he has to finish something before the next day or on Friday I'll say he has to do it over the weekend. That is only if it is something we didn't get done during our school time. It doesn't happen often. I don't give extra work for "homework."

As kids get older, I guess you could think of all independent work as homework because it's done without mom...but usually still on some sort of schedule.

BTW - All our work is homework because we always do it at home.
I wanted to say, I only tell my son he has to finish it before the next day or over the weekend when *he* is the one who caused us not to be able to get it done by doodling or fussing. I don't make him finish if it's through no fault of his own that we didn't get it done. And, it's only happened a handful of times. Just didn't want anyone to think I actually give my son homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well we don't have homework here. Unless you just mean work done at home, in which case that would be all of it, lol. They do have some work they do independently but it is during regular school time.

Absolutely! I couldn't believe it when my BFF told me her 1st grader had 1.5-2hrs of homework a night! Mine does 1.5-2hr of school TOTAL.

And, I'm jealous you can get them to do anything independently. That's not happening here. Even if I ask him to do something really easy like fill in his calendar or do 2 easy math problems while I run to the bathroom, if will rarely be done when I come back a minute later. It is very frustrating because I'm trying to teach his youngers too and I need him to work while I do that.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I wanted to say, I only tell my son he has to finish it before the next day or over the weekend when *he* is the one who caused us not to be able to get it done by doodling or fussing. I don't make him finish if it's through no fault of his own that we didn't get it done. And, it's only happened a handful of times. Just didn't want anyone to think I actually give my son homework.

Absolutely! I couldn't believe it when my BFF told me her 1st grader had 1.5-2hrs of homework a night! Mine does 1.5-2hr of school TOTAL.

And, I'm jealous you can get them to do anything independently. That's not happening here. Even if I ask him to do something really easy like fill in his calendar or do 2 easy math problems while I run to the bathroom, if will rarely be done when I come back a minute later. It is very frustrating because I'm trying to teach his youngers too and I need him to work while I do that.
They do all their math solo, except if I need to explain something at the beginning of a lesson. They also work fairly independently on their Bible notebooks. I'm lucky, I guess! Have you tried challenging him to a race? I used to have to do that with Keegan because he tends to get distracted working alone. So I would say, "okay, I'm going downstairs to sort and fold this laundry. See if you can beat me with X amount of problems done before I get back" It worked really well for him, he's kind of competitive.

And my niece was coming home with like four or five worksheets for homework a day--in kindergarten!! That's more worksheets than I do in a day's worth of kindergarten.

Last edited by jen_batten; 04-23-2013 at 06:28 AM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's all homework. Institutionalized school has homework for students because they are unable to fit everything into one day...how a five yr old can spend 8 hours in school and still need to do 5 worksheets at home I have no clue. We don't have set hours to do school, we work around naps and housework and what gets done is done and the rest can wait until tomorrow.

Last edited by Leah52; 04-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #19
KnitterBug Creations
TJsmommy is my *old* DS name
seller

My Mood:

DS is only in kindergarten right now and he does not have homework. He does all his work with me but if I see he is struggling with something and he's just not getting it, then I will have him work on it with his dad in the evening or on the weekend just so he can get a different perspective on it. He reads all his "reader" books to his dad in the evening and practices his addition/subtraction flashcards with his dad as well when I think he needs to practice.
KnitterBug Creations is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me, assigned independent work (homework) is beneficial in the sense of teaching time management skill where student decides when the work should be done and how long he/she will commit to his/her homework. So I'd like to assign homeworks in future, but we are not doing them yet.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote