Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Emergency Daycare Options

I've been back at work full time for 3 weeks now and am already running into daycare issues. Our daycare (in home) was closed due to bad weather in my 2nd week and this week DS is sick. DH stayed home with him today, but we're absolutely stuck for tomorrow. I've got client meetings all day and my new boss will not be impressed if I miss another day. DH has an important meeting with his boss all morning.

What do you do for emergency daycare? I have a feeling that DS will likely be sick quite a bit since he's never been around other kids before.

Advertisement

Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Emergency Daycare Options

I don't know many places that will take a sick child because it will spread to everyone else in the facility.

For weather, I'd call to see if there are any "drop in" type daycares near you?
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

The 'big city' near us has lots of emergency nanny options for sick kids who can't go to daycare, but I can't find any here. I don't really care what it costs since it will only be for a couple days here and there, but I just can't miss work. I wish we had family nearby.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I would be most interested in someone who would watch him in our home while he's sick, but don't know where to go to get reliable referrals.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe a nanny setup would be a better option for you than a traditional DC?

We actually had a SUPER informal setup w/ our previous sitter. She was a SAHM out of work on a back injury & had school-aged kids. She just wanted to care for one infant. It was good b/c she didn't mind sick care, but she could be flakey & traveled for dog shows & such quite often. So she helped to hook us up with a couple of backups. That worked out really well & we really liked both backups we used...one better than the regular sitter Since then, we haven't had a backup. We should, b/c I've been in a bind a couple of times. I guess if I needed to look for that kind of occasional care, I'd probably canvass on Care.com
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
We found our nanny on sittercity.com

Most sitters on there have background checks, and you can email and ask for references. If you put up a post now saying its an emergency and you will pay X amount (make it worth their while) I can almost guarantee someone will email you right away. I had 30 applications within 48 hours of my post looking for a nanny.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Maybe a nanny setup would be a better option for you than a traditional DC?

We actually had a SUPER informal setup w/ our previous sitter. She was a SAHM out of work on a back injury & had school-aged kids. She just wanted to care for one infant. It was good b/c she didn't mind sick care, but she could be flakey & traveled for dog shows & such quite often. So she helped to hook us up with a couple of backups. That worked out really well & we really liked both backups we used...one better than the regular sitter Since then, we haven't had a backup. We should, b/c I've been in a bind a couple of times. I guess if I needed to look for that kind of occasional care, I'd probably canvass on Care.com
Thank you! I've posted an ad on Care.com and hopefully will find a good fit.

We really like our usual daycare provider, but she has 5 children there, plus her own daughter so she cannot take sick kids. A nanny would certainly be easier for us, but not in our budget right now and DS really enjoys the interaction with the other children.

We definitely need a couple of backup options since I'm still in my 3-month probation period at work and DH is in his first 6 months of work (just finished school last fall.) Neither of us can afford to miss work at this stage in our careers.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
We found our nanny on sittercity.com

Most sitters on there have background checks, and you can email and ask for references. If you put up a post now saying its an emergency and you will pay X amount (make it worth their while) I can almost guarantee someone will email you right away. I had 30 applications within 48 hours of my post looking for a nanny.
Thanks for the suggestion; that was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, sittercity doesn't seem to have any Canadian listings, but Care.com does so we'll be okay.

Thank you, ladies! Diaperswappers to the rescue once again
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
Thank you! I've posted an ad on Care.com and hopefully will find a good fit.

We really like our usual daycare provider, but she has 5 children there, plus her own daughter so she cannot take sick kids. A nanny would certainly be easier for us, but not in our budget right now and DS really enjoys the interaction with the other children.

We definitely need a couple of backup options since I'm still in my 3-month probation period at work and DH is in his first 6 months of work (just finished school last fall.) Neither of us can afford to miss work at this stage in our careers.
I totally understand; I took the hit a couple times when we couldn't take DD to the sitter b/c DP couldn't miss anything during her internship.

I only suggested the nanny option b/c here it's barely more expensive than DC for two, and it's way less than DC for three.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
AvnerandIansMom
Registered Users
seller

drop in daycares in your area or friends that are stay at home moms or if you have any family in the area.
AvnerandIansMom is offline   Reply With Quote