Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #131
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: August 11 - APRIL CHATTER!

Awww, Britt kindergarten is such a fun year, but it is so hard to let them go!

Amy, I'll be praying for Izzy...poor thing. I hope it's nothing serious. Have you discussed her attention problems with your ped? They may have some suggestions on how to help her focus that aren't necessarily medication. Also, if it's affecting her school work you might want to look into her being evaluated. There are things that schools can do like a 504 plan where they can offer accommodations in a regular classroom to help her. Oh, and the kids locking you in...too funny!

Alison, my three oldest have done writing without tears....such a good program! I forget did you say you plan to homeschool? I think about it almost daily...I am sure one day we will be homeschooling. Especially middle school...scares the bejeebus out of me!

I love talking about teaching...it truly is my passion!

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #132
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by estradaamyl

Locking me IN.
Oh no!!! That's even better.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #133
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh middle school.......

The thought of my boys being exposed to all that stuff makes me cringe. I am contemplating 'the talk' with ods this summer. I want to talk with him before kids at school talk with him. But in my eyes, he's still a little boy. Yeah, I know he's 10 but that's so young. Makes me sad that I have to adjust the conversations I have with my children at an age I don't feel is appropriate to keep them from hearing incorrect things from their peers. I wish I could homeschool. But I really don't think I'm right for it.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #134
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If we stayed where we were I think homeschooling would have been the only option. We are moving to a school district that is top 10 in the state. We were going to move to #1 in the state but we like the town we are moving to better and it is less crowded (except for college football season) and cheaper than the #1 district.

We still do things at home. I was a teacher too and dh is 3-6 cr away from his doctorate in Education but wil probably never go get it. Sil is a special Ed teacher in ny and sends tons of things for the boys school wise and on Christmas she gets them those huge learning charts you hang.

Don't laugh but dh has this Samari philosophy, it is not really a sword fighting approach it is building education without lacking in other areas. For example we see people who are so great in one area that they struggle in other areas of there lives. Examples would be bobby Fischer chess player. Tiger woods, pistol Pete basketball player and even most star athletes. So we try to make sure we get the children in every learning area like reading writing physical activity art music building and so on. Sounds complicated but it is as simple as piano lessons, dance lessons-yes blu goes to dance, we work with sports with them bc we can, they get art in school. There are other thigs but we also make sure they are fulfilled socially as well but to there comfort level- tanner and blu are 2 different beasts were I actually have to tell blu to stop talking to everyone and have to tell tanner to talk to someone.

I hope that was not too confusing and sorry about the run on sentences I am on my phone.

Last edited by dagmomma; 04-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #135
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How did I not know you were a teacher before, or maybe you said and I forgot? Anyway, your philosophy makes perfect sense. The older girls are in art classes now, but winter and fall they did soccer and cheer. Last summer we played basketball and took swim lessons. I make them choose one activity a season mostly because it's rough having too much going on at once. We are really working on finding their niche. Dd1 and dd2 are much more athletic while dd2 is more artistic, but I really want them to be well rounded. I'd really like to explore music with them as well.

This is pretty much how I was raised. I played soccer and ran track in high school and played flute and piano for about 10 years and still had time to do volunteer work at a hospital. I had no time to get in trouble because I was always busy. Dh was raised totally opposite...he did not play one.single.sport growing up...crazy! And he was an only child, so no excuses there. He is naturally very smart and his parents just let him grow up like a nerd, lol. He doesn't want our girls to be limited in the same ways he was. My in laws always give us flack for having the girls so involved in activities from such a young age...I just don't get it.

Last edited by katengrace; 04-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.
katengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #136
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dh and I were sports sports sports but his family stressed academics and mine did not. I was somewhat of the black sheep bc I cared about school an my grades.

Dh feels that he lacks in the social area although you would never now it through his work but in actual non work social settings he is a stand away from the crowd type and does not want that for his children.

Sports basically got me everything free college education saw many parts of our nation and other countries even though I basically gave up childhood us and college yrs for it but I would not have it any other way. The problem was that the silly mistakes you make in those yrs are great lessons but then when your in you 20s it is like you learn them for the first time. Lol nothing bad just stupid relationships and things.

As for music I always was interested but my mother never let me do it not sure why probably had to do with money but the she would put me in dance and let me tell you there is nothing cuter than a 5'7 5th grader in a leotard!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #137
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amy- that made me laugh about the garden! I hope you find some answers for Izzy.

Britt- glad she's almost over it. I can't imagine seeing her like that! fx that you don't have to deal with anymore of that!!

I am so envious of you ladies who HS or do extra lessons. I will admit that with Vivian I was more motivated to work with her, but she loved to learn. I haven't pushed it with Lauren yet. She's showing good signs lately though for some extra work.

Really feeling like poo today. pg is really making me drag. I have so much to do today, but I don't think I'm going to get half of it done. I'd like to take a nap, but Evan is already awake from his.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #138
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow glad all you mama's are giving your kids extra boost for school! I love teaching, I have my masters in elem. Ed. But don't work right now. I do have plans to homeschool Malachi for kindy and first grade but he will be 5 in Dec. So just preschool 4 now. I am doing all about reading with him now and some other things I found online...there is so many good blogs out ther by other homeschooling moms! I do struggle with wanting him to be around other kids more, any ideas, we do the YMCA, library, tball etc...
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #139
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisjoy View Post
Wow glad all you mama's are giving your kids extra boost for school! I love teaching, I have my masters in elem. Ed. But don't work right now. I do have plans to homeschool Malachi for kindy and first grade but he will be 5 in Dec. So just preschool 4 now. I am doing all about reading with him now and some other things I found online...there is so many good blogs out ther by other homeschooling moms! I do struggle with wanting him to be around other kids more, any ideas, we do the YMCA, library, tball etc...
Claire will be 5 in December too! On the 19th. I didn't realize our little ones were the same exact age gap...cool!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #140
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well were officially ready for kindergarten! Had Nathan's screening yesterday and he got a 95% overall. They were very impressed (so was I!). He woke up this morning and asked me if he was going to kinder today.

It's rainy here so Dh didn't go turkey hunting. He's bummed. But that means I don't have to drag my littles around on errands. ha!!