Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #41
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm sure it could be. Nursing as I type right now and it feels like a typewriter on my nipple. Not excrutiating, but not pleasant.

We take literally like 5-10 minutes to get any latch on the left and I usually go with it. I need tricks for latch.

Right side has its own problems cause its usually engorged/round but still easier.

Might have to go back to the LC.

Atleast the damage is healing.

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #42
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Joey never napped either. He fought sleep. Even now, he sleeps much less than the average 3 year old and seems like he gets enough. He was also a very needy baby. Always wanted to be held or entertained. That said, I could totally see him not sleeping because of hunger.

When you say typewriter, is it like its being clicked back and forth? Sometimes Nate will latch like that. It doesn't hurt, but drives me insane. For us, its definitely a sign of bad latch.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #43
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Updates on Babies -- Add Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Is there any way to make him nurse more efficiently or atleast all at once?

I rub his head the whole time and I've tried compressions, but he's asleep on the breast so quickly. Then sometimes I wake him to offer the other side and sometimes I just let him nap. I guess I just let him get in this cycle.

Sometimes he's wide awake on the breast, but even then it's like he wants to just keep nursing for 2 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Emily, is it possible he isn't transferring milk efficiently enough? Either due to poor latch, tongue tie, sleepy baby, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I'm sure it could be. Nursing as I type right now and it feels like a typewriter on my nipple. Not excrutiating, but not pleasant.

We take literally like 5-10 minutes to get any latch on the left and I usually go with it. I need tricks for latch.

Might have to go back to the LC.
It really sounds like latching troubles - and a poor latch can cause/create all sorts of troubles, with baby and with mom. It definitely shouldn't take that long to get a latch.
Is there any way you can get to the LC again this week? It sounds like she had some ideas and was able to help you last time. Maybe having a weekly appt or something like that for a couple weeks would be helpful for you?

If he's sleepy, do whatever you can to wake him up - even to the point of letting him get angry and crying. I know crying is a last sign of hunger, and it is best to get to baby when he's showing the early hunger signs, but maybe letting him get crying a bit may get his mouth opening wider and make latching easier.

Do you change him before feeding him? Piper hates being changed, she either just gets ticked off or will cry. But either way, she's fully awake by the time we're done changing her. And you could always change him again if he gets dozy in the middle of nursing.
Undressing him completely, down to diaper?
Cool washcloths on his tummy or back?
Burping him when he stops sucking/swallowing? Piper usually isn't done when she stops, just taking a break, and burping her away from the breast will get her awake and wanting more again.
Breast compressions can definitely help - but only if he's going to actually suck/swallow the milk you compress out, kwim? Otherwise it just gets you making more milk - not a bad thing, but not the point right now.

The public health nurse left a bunch of info, and there was this good article about latching on. This one is about staying pain-free while nursing, and this one is about dealing with engorgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin View Post
I have very rarely gotten him to sleep and then laid him in his bouncer or car seat.
Levi was like that - he'd nap all right on me (though still rarely ever longer than 45mins at most) but if I laid him down he was almost always immediately awake. I just got used to it and managed doing things around his sleeping, but it was kinda annoying. No, it was really annoying, lol. But I figured, timewise, it was only a drop in the bucket of life.
Piper is always surprising me, lol. She seems to be a good sleeper - she loves to snuggle and sleep, but she's also slept fine when I've laid her in the swing or the bouncy chair or her bassinet (although she prefers on her tummy in there). It seems strange to have a wee one and not have to hold her all the time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
When you say typewriter, is it like its being clicked back and forth? Sometimes Nate will latch like that. It doesn't hurt, but drives me insane. For us, its definitely a sign of bad latch.
Clicking is definitely a sign of a poor latch - it's usually because of a shallow latch, so baby doesn't have as much of the areola in his mouth as he should. It can also just mean that baby's tongue isn't out over the bottom gums/lip, which means sucking won't be as effective.
Piper sometimes pulls her tongue back and clicks a bit. Usually she stops after a couple clicks and betters her latch again, but if she doesn't, I relatch her.
It doesn't necessarily hurt at the time, but it can cause for pain and problems later on.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
birdinhand
Registered Users

Sometimes with a tongue tie it can feel like a violin bow being rubbed back and forth over your nipple, to what degree it is bothersome varies -- sometimes light, sometimes very forcefully. The nipple can have a "stripe" on it, from where it is being rubbed, often in a horizontal fashion, and the nipple often comes out pinched looking. If you have worked to get a deep latch and this still happens, it may not just be a simple latch issue. Ask your IBCLC if she is familiar with tongue ties. There is actually a lot of info online about how to assess for thids yourself. Cathy Watson Genna has a great site if you search her name, where she gives the break down of checking the mouth yourself to see if it could be a possibility.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
If you have worked to get a deep latch and this still happens, it may not just be a simple latch issue. Ask your IBCLC if she is familiar with tongue ties.
Very good point! I just assumed that there was no tongue tie issues, but if there was that could explain a lot of the troubles he's been having.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #46
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
We have a tongue tie here. No pain for me thankfully, but frustrating. I looked up dr kotlows stuff to confirm for myself. Check it out
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
We have a tongue tie here. No pain for me thankfully, but frustrating.
DS2 had a tongue tie at birth - very obvious. We were told we may need to have it clipped, but I was able to get him to latch and nurse well. I did have a bad case of thrush at 5-6 weeks, which could have been caused by his tie, but we got through/over it and had no other issues.

One of the therapies for tongue tie stretching is to allow baby to use a pacifier as much as he wants - which we, unknowingly, did with DS2. When he was about 18 months his tongue tie had stretched itself so he has normal movement of his tongue now.
Even with no nursing issues, we were watching it because of possible speech issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #48
birdinhand
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Very good point! I just assumed that there was no tongue tie issues, but if there was that could explain a lot of the troubles he's been having.
Yeah, they say the more you know abou breastfeeding the more likely you end up with a baby that has an issue, to teach you more, lol. My baby has a posterior tongue tie and I finally get to live it, lol.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Elena - thanks for that latching article. I was teasing the wrong part, I've latched him a bit easier today teasing the bottom lip. Hope it lasts.

Wouldn't drs check for a tongue tie? The pediatrician and the LC both know I'm EBF and the LC looked at my nipples (which get squished to lines) and the pediatrician looked in Luke's mouth.

Who knows.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
SarahBk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rosie had her weight rechecked today: 8lbs 8oz. Gained 18oz since our last ped visit
SarahBk is offline   Reply With Quote