Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

modifying a Nourishing Traditions diet?

I've become interested in the Nourishing traditions diet to work on healing IBS. My IBS is allergy induced however (it is simply impossible to eliminate all food allergens at this time b/c of how they dominoed), which makes any dietary changes whatsoever extremely tricky.

So essentially I have four primary things limiting how far I can go with a NT diet (1) food allergies which, for instance, limit my produce consumption, (2) foods that worsen my immune disorder which would include *all* fungal items like kombucha and most fermented anything (I have balsamic vinegar about twice a year, lol), (3) lack of availability of truly grass-fed beef (as opposed to Laura's Lean) and raw milk, and (4) limited energy and resources to make any special recipes.

Starting today, I will cook my brown rice using her method (I was already soaking it for 1-2 hours before cooking; now I will add lemon juice and make it 7). I'm sure this rice will get extraordinarily boring. If you have tips on where to somewhat affordably purchase NT friendly baked-good types of items pre-made, I'd be interested.

I already only buy raw cow cheese when I buy cow products (the slightly cheaper sheep cheese that I get is not raw).

I already take a good amount of Klaire Labs Therbiotic Complete every day, a more hypoallergenic alternative to kefir.

I'm sipping a bit of Imagine brands organic chicken broth before meals. (I love to make my own and know that broth makes me feel good but rarely have the ingredients, energy, and time, so for daily use like this it is going to have to be a compromise on both the diet ideals and my budget. I will try to make my own more often though.)

I have already largely switched from chicken breasts to chicken thighs, although that is requiring some adjustment. I have doubts that liver will make it to my plate, but the thighs do accomplish some of their goals.

I can also greatly decrease my consumption of brown rice and tapioca breads, focusing more on soaked rice for my carbs. (I am gluten free.)

I can increase my fat intake slightly but know I am limited in that regards (e.g., I can only handle very tiny amounts of coconut oil). The next time I stock up on powdered goats' milk I can get full fat instead of nonfat. The butter I have access to is organic but neither grass only nor raw.

I am pretty sensitive to fish and can not handle the majority of cod liver supplements on the market; therefore I am extremely wary of making the huge investment in a FCLO trial. If you relate to my dilemma and had success, feel free to try to talk me into it.

I already almost never have sugars (just stevia), and if I do it is something like a Mary's Gone Crackers organic ginger snap (fwiw, I cannot digest "go raw" brand snacks). I do have a small jar of local raw honey.

At least by next fall, I will be able to get raw almonds from my food co-op that I can sprout. I can perhaps soak chia seeds a lot in the interim.

Thanks to purchases of a bushel of organic apples and a 3/4 bushel of kiwi, most of my fruit intake and some of my vegetable intake is already organic, although that will actually be harder for me in the summer months (I generally lack affordable access to those readily perishable organic summer fruits).

Does anyone here have good experience with modifying this diet and experiencing healing? Any tips?

TIA!

Advertisement

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 04-24-2013 at 04:25 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The best peice of advice I've read about NT diets was buy the best you can afford. If you can't afford raw milk, buy whole and try to get one that isn't ultra-pasteurized, just regular pasteurized. We eat wild rice which is actually a seed, not a rice. You can get it at Trader Joes and its long and black. It has 15% protein content.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: modifying a Nourishing Traditions diet?

Kay, thank you for chiming in!

Wild rice is not gluten free, so I can't have that.

Since I cannot drink pasteurized cow milk (I can have raw milk cheese w/o developing a migraine, so I suspect I could drink raw milk if it were available), I unfortunately have to get powdered goat milk. I have three cans of nonfat here, but I ordered 3 cans of full fat so that I can mix the two until they are used up.

Thanks
Deb

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 04-24-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

So... bones.

I have been drinking imagine chicken broth and just a little bit here and there of homemade broth made from free range (but not non-soy or organic) chicken cooked for many hours. I also thought I could add beef gelatin to the carton broths in the future, since their gelatin has clearly been skimmed off (sigh).

Neither my grocer's nor the butcher shop sells bones.

I was directed to U.S. Wellness for online purchase of bones, but apart from the fact that almost all their bones are currently sold out--the price is incredible. I'm not sure how much stock 1 lb of bones makes, but yowsa!

So does anyone know a free range no soy source that is cheaper?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update, since so many are reading this thread:

One doctor strongly urged me to start Carlson's cod liver oil rather than fermented, which I have, taking it with digestive enzymes for digestibility.

Neither of my doctors think Nourishing Traditions would be a panacea for my IBS even if I were able to follow it all to a T. They are favorable to assimilating portions of it though. And so I will.

My regular grocer's does carry non-organic, non-grass-fed ox tail. I figure I will make broth from that now and then. It's something at least.

Also, I had a lightbulb moment this week and remembered a supplement sample I had used a year ago. It was for Mt. Capra Goat Mineral Whey. It has a mineral profile that should be very similar to what cooks off of bones, and the goats are not treated with antibiotics. I think for my situation, it (along with some beef gelatin) could prove to be a very useful broth alternative. I plan to get some with my next swansons order.

Although I can't really handle full servings of them, the occasional cracker or cookie from "Go Raw" will be nice.

Finally, I have ordered organic vegetable powders from Frontier and organic fruit powders from Sunfoods on Amazon so that I can supplement my diet with more raw veggies/fruits in an easy and more digestible way.

I hope that helps someone who is seeking to make similar changes in a relatively easy fashion.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Broth made from conventional bones is better than store bought. I love this method by Amanda Rose.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Interesting. I find that my chicken bones are at the point of disintegrating after only about 6 hours of cooking. I wonder how she gets multiple 24 hour batches out of those. But all this is good to know. I had almost held onto ox tail bones the last time I had those. But b/c the broth that had come from the first batch was not very gelatinous, I figured the bones did not have much left to offer. Perhaps some bones are less gelatinous but still have plenty of minerals though. I guess I should have saved them!