Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
I have organic sunflower seeds from Tierra Farms. You could talk to them about contamination. I will be making sunny butter pretty soon and will try it with honey and let you know how it goes.
Great I called the frutter nut butter company and they dont use the same plant but not the same equipment.They can't quarentee no x-cont but say they try really hard.

I hate making decisions like this. The chances of her being allergic to peanuts and tree nuts are pretty rare and she would be near me when she ate it but OMG her reaction to peanuts was scary enough i am not sure i want to try it.

She is enjoying the sunbutter i just bought

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We use wowbutter for school. It's actually really good, after trying lots that didn't taste very good. Even my teens take it, but i've never told them. lol It's just easier to avoid cross-contamination when making everyone's pb&j at the same time. ;-)

I think if you made your own, honey would be a great sweetener. I've bought the skippy with honey and it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Great I called the frutter nut butter company and they dont use the same plant but not the same equipment.They can't quarentee no x-cont but say they try really hard.

I hate making decisions like this. The chances of her being allergic to peanuts and tree nuts are pretty rare and she would be near me when she ate it but OMG her reaction to peanuts was scary enough i am not sure i want to try it.

She is enjoying the sunbutter i just bought
Honestly she is only at a slightly greater risk then the general population of having other allergies. That is any kind of allergy, not specifically tree nuts. Tree nuts and peanuts are not connected at all. Tree nuts are often included in the avoid list for cross contamination and because they are top 8. Most of the other top 8 have been ingested long before a parent introduces peanut and tree nut. She isn't really more likely to have a tree nut allergy just because she has a peanut allergy. Don't know if you know the reason they say wait until 3. Its only for treatment purposes. Airways are more mature and its easier for them to treat if there is an ANA reaction.

Now- that said- much easier said then done! DD tested negative for tree nuts at 2 and again at 4. We have bought bag after bag of Blue Diamond Almonds (they are peanut free) with the intention of giving her one. Chickened out EVERY SINGLE TIME. Its scary. Every time I bought a bag I thought we're going to do this. And every single time I would look at her face and say no way in this world am I going to feed this to her. Finally after growing out of her coconut allergy we went for it. At 5 and half she had her first almond with me and dh standing over her, epi pens in hand watching her like hawks. She didn't like it at all (same with the coconut, she hates it) but what can we expect when we have avoided them for so long. We kept a close eye on her for hours. I understand the fear. Even though rationally I knew the statistics and I knew we had 3 negative tests (2 RAST and 1 skin) it took me a very long time to get over that fear.

Glad she like the sunbutter. its suppose to make good "peanut butter" cookies. I have used Wowbutter for it, works great. Something with the sunbutter turns green though after a day in the cookies. I can't remember what but I know you can add something to keep them from turning green- I think vinegar but can't remember.

Last edited by jbug_4; 04-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

We use Sunbutter Organic - no added sugar, just roasted sunflower seeds. http://www.sunbutter.com/products-organic.php

It's very tasty. I love peanut butter and had always used a locally made, roasted peanut only variety. The transition to Sunbutter Organic was pretty easy. The kids love it and have never known anything else.

I usually buy ours off Amazon.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our grocery has a marantha one with added salt, but no sugar.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just made roasted sunflower seed butter.
1 c roasted seeds
(350, 20-30, shake the pan every once in awhile)
2 tbs honey
.5 tsp cinnamon
Salt pinch
2 tbs canola oil

The color wasn't what I was used to! It is a very dark brown, big surprise. Anyway, I didn't use canola. I used olive and coconut. 2 tbs of honey is quite sweet. I used a local wildflower, very dark honey. The cinnamon isn't prominent, it does something behind the scenes. I'd make this again with slightly less honey. It was quite easy to make, and I sure won't be buying it again. I like the flavor the deep roasting gave the butter. Hth.