Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

i need some ideas please

Were financially struggling. I work out of home part time, and deprnding on how things go over the next few months Ill either be wotking out of home more or less. If dh's multiple oppurtunities actually follow through this time, then I may noy be able to work out of home because we would then be paying too much for child care. If this happens, Id like to work from home,but dont know what would be the best route.
Ive got experience with nannying, and will be a licensed nurse within a few months. I also used to have an etsy shop where I sold appliqued clothing as well as a few other childrens items. I sold over 200 appliqued tops (split into 2 large orders) but I never had any other orders except what I sold through a local shop (maybe 10 shirts) and I shut my shop because I was a student at the same time and couldnt devote enough time to marketing. I also have experience making upcycled wool diaper covers, and sewing general home items ie curtians, baby/child bedding, pillow shams, dish towels, aprons etc
Im really not sure what route I should take if I do stay at home or even just to make extra income since my hours have been cut so much anyway.
It must be a low startup cost because I literally have less than $100 till payday, so i need to be able to easily save up for a low start up cost.
Also, the best way/place to sell and market would be? (I wont do facebook)

Advertisement

Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Be an eBay seller. Find stuff at garage sales and thrift stores and your own house and see what it's worth on eBay. I made over $200 in 2 weeks and I just started!
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Re: i need some ideas please

Hmm. Thats interesting. I never thought about that. Do you buy certian items ie retro/antique/rare things at yard sales and thrift shops then just sell them on ebay? Im pretty good at finding real antiqur things at yard sales and thrift stores for very good prices, but i never know what theyre really worth and have never thought about re-selling them to make a profit.
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: i need some ideas please

The only marketing I really know of for those types of things would be FB which you don't want to do. So I'm no help with marketing... upcycled clothing is popular and has low start up because you can get the stuff at thrift shops, but there's a lot of competition... there's always advertising like here but that's not going to get you low start up cost...

As for reselling items you find, I never know what price it would sell for either of even if it's really worth anything. I tried doing it before but was overwhelmed with not knowing what to buy and want to pass over.

But with smart phones now you can look that stuff up when you are out and about. I'd look for an app for you phone for ebay, etsy, and any other place it might be listed and then look them up and see. And if you keep the name of the shop pretty open you could add upcycled stuff later if you enjoy sewing enough to put the time and effort into it.

Good luck!

Hand Painted yarn by Fairy Tale Knits

Direct link to my current colorways
MamaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1
Hmm. Thats interesting. I never thought about that. Do you buy certian items ie retro/antique/rare things at yard sales and thrift shops then just sell them on ebay? Im pretty good at finding real antiqur things at yard sales and thrift stores for very good prices, but i never know what theyre really worth and have never thought about re-selling them to make a profit.
I usually find nice shoes like sanuk, teva, merrell, stride rite. Those are my money makers. Next time your at the thrift store bring your phone with the eBay app and look up what things sell for. I'm part of an eBay group on Facebook if you want to join for tips.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+3

I usually find nice shoes like sanuk, teva, merrell, stride rite. Those are my money makers. Next time your at the thrift store bring your phone with the eBay app and look up what things sell for. I'm part of an eBay group on Facebook if you want to join for tips.
What's the group? I'd love to join!
Kaylacherie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Naturekins
Registered Users

Smile Re: i need some ideas please

If you have a good local farmers market that is a very cheap way to sell your hand made items. Our local market only costs $17 for a spot and is every Sat. the bonus is that starting this time of year you can figure out what will sell well in time for the big selling Christmas craft fairs.
Naturekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylacherie88

What's the group? I'd love to join!
This!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote