Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about FMLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
One of our friends came back 3wks pp after a c/s b/c the district was cutting positions that year, and her maternity leave, if taken in full, would have given her fewer days in the classroom & less seniority than someone else. So she came back early in order to keep her job. That doesn't happen everywhere or every year, but do be aware of seniority issues and cuts.
This type of things scares me. Today in our district they fired all of the teacher librarians. That's about 15 positions they cut adn just let those people go, and all of them are tenured. Our union is crap and won't fight for teachers at all, so it makes me nervous. I'd like to move to another district but I think I'd have the same issue since I then wouldn't qualify for FMLA

Advertisement

amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
NCMommy119
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No fun when they pretty much have you backed in a corner like that. I feel your pain. Been in pretty much the same situation, except for me, the company got bought out and so the new owners said we were basically all new employees and I didn't qualify. Bunch of crap, but what can you really do? Pfft...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another woman in this post said she took 6 weeks maternity and 10 weeks FMLA so this is probably employer dependent so double check But, my employer counted maternity leave in the FMLA time and I believe they are "allowed" to do that. I had 6 weeks maternity so I was only eligible for 6 weeks FMLA.

eta: I'm specifically talking about the Christmas break time. All my "days off" still counted too. You might only get 12 weeks including Christmas break and going back on time is what gives you your FMLA rights

Last edited by heidisue; 04-26-2013 at 07:27 PM.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Updating that I talked to my principal and he was very supportive of me taking 8-10 weeks off, which is awesome, I will likely only take 6 weeks of actual work off plus the 2 weeks at Christmas break, but its nice to have the flexibility for more if I need/want it. We've had about 10 teachers leave our school this year so I think he is doing whatever he can to get me to stay, I'm going to get it all in writing from HR though.
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
rellasmommy
Registered Users
seller

It is so wrong to fire a woman for having a baby. People who do that are disgusting human beings.
rellasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

With both boys I took the 12 weeks. I worked with them the whole pregnancy to get as much of my IEP meetings/paperwork done as possible, to find a sub and train her, and keep parents in the know and comfortable. I didn't have any problem. We set me return date well before I had the baby, so I didn't spring anything on them. The second pregnancy I left in mid April and knew I wouldn't be returning until after summer. In June I requested a year leave of absence and it was granted no problem. Then I resigned for the 2nd year, because I was still needed at home. Now I'm returning in August because the new teacher is moving. They are thrilled to have me back with no hard feelings.

So if you're upfront and clear, and talk about mutual needs ahead of time, I do think it can work. I'm in a larger district and there are babies born all the time, so they are used to it anyways.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I highly doubt she was fired for having a baby. Schools everywhere, actually every employer that relies on gov't funds is having huge cuts. And when someone is on leave, workload needs to be covered. Sometimes it's easier for employers to just replace. Not fair but reality. You can come back to work only to find your job is now In Another town within the company. Scary when you go on leave, but I agree w pp that communication of your intentions is important. If an employer has many people say they are Coming back then don't, it makes them more cautious with the next person to go on leave.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
I highly doubt she was fired for having a baby. Schools everywhere, actually every employer that relies on gov't funds is having huge cuts. And when someone is on leave, workload needs to be covered. Sometimes it's easier for employers to just replace. Not fair but reality. You can come back to work only to find your job is now In Another town within the company. Scary when you go on leave, but I agree w pp that communication of your intentions is important. If an employer has many people say they are Coming back then don't, it makes them more cautious with the next person to go on leave.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I agree with this. I am FULLY aware that pregnancy discrimination exists, I have personally experienced it, and my SIL even won a case filed with the the Indiana DOL after being fired due to being pregnant. So I know it happens. BUT, it sounds like the school system is unloading people anyway. It sucks when people lose their jobs, but when funds are down, for whatever reason, be it government budget cuts or sales down in the private sector, or whatever, sometimes employement is the budget line that gets hit. And being on leave when you get cut doesn't automatically mean it's because of being pregnant.

Generally speaking, people who would fire someone because of pregnancy are unfriendly to pregnant people overall. They say things like 'I can't understand why a woman would want to do that to her body' in front of their own girlfriend and many other female and parent co-workers.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Tida
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisue View Post
Another woman in this post said she took 6 weeks maternity and 10 weeks FMLA so this is probably employer dependent so double check But, my employer counted maternity leave in the FMLA time and I believe they are "allowed" to do that. I had 6 weeks maternity so I was only eligible for 6 weeks FMLA.

eta: I'm specifically talking about the Christmas break time. All my "days off" still counted too. You might only get 12 weeks including Christmas break and going back on time is what gives you your FMLA rights
I know laws vary by state. The federal FMLA includes employee's own disability time in the 12 week allotment, so if you take 6 weeks of disability, then you have only 6 weeks left for bonding. NJ developed their own law, which does not include personal disability in the 12 weeks of FMLA, so after my disability time ran out, I still had 12 weeks of bonding to use with my daughter - 6 of them paid and 6 unpaid.
Tida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
onematchfire
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would fall under FMLA due to company size and hours I've worked in the previous year, but since I just moved to a new role in a different division, I'm only taking seven weeks. Two will be paid via accrued vacation time and five will be paid at 60% by short term disability. Anything beyond that would have been unpaid anyway, and I don't feel it would be fair to my employer to take twelve weeks leave when I'll only have been in the new role for three months and change (and one of those months unable to travel, which affects my ability to do my job).

If I'd stayed in my old role in my old division, I would have taken twelve weeks without a second thought, even if five were unpaid.

I think it really has to be a balance between being a responsible employee and doing what's in the best interest of the company/organization (since that is, after all, why they pay you) and doing what's in the best interest for your family (since that is, after all, personally more critical).
onematchfire is offline   Reply With Quote