Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help? Advice? Choosing b/w 12 & 15 passenger vans.

<-- We juust bought a Ford E350 12 pass, so far I am in love with the drive and space, but as a PP said, RFing seats are a P.A.I.N. The only good spot for one is the 2nd row, middle so it comes between the driver and front pass. I'm working with a Radian angle adjuster to try and get a 2nd RFing seat, having trouble though.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
carmanfamily64
Registered Users
seller

We have a 2007 GMC Savannah 12 pass and I love it. A couple of things we like with our model-1-sliding slide door vs. swing open 2- option to turn stablitrack off. we have had a few issues with our stablitrack so we keep it off. You can fit more than you think in the back, we only have 6 children right now with #7 due this fall so we have plenty of seating space. I love my van and wouldn't trade it -ok maybe for a black one ;p(ours is white) Also, some vans have a bedliner type flooring vs carpet-wish we had that would make it so easy to take seats out and hose the van lol.
carmanfamily64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I drive vans for work quite a bit, so no experience with them on car seats and as a family van, but do put lots of people and gear in them. I am not very tall, 5' 5" and I have a hard time adjusting our GMC vans to fit me. I can barely reach the pedals when I'm a comfortable distance from the wheel, they just fit me wrong. The ford van is easier for me to drive (to bad they sold it and we are all GMC and Chevy now). That said, the GMC and old dodge van we had have held up great, very little maintenance and we considered them very reliable. I don't maintain the vans so I"m not sure if this is true or not but I was told we quit buying ford because of how much more maintenance they took. So just my two bits on driving them. Oh, and the old dodge was easy for me to drive too. Not sure why, but the GMCs are just hard for me to reach things.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
I drive vans for work quite a bit, so no experience with them on car seats and as a family van, but do put lots of people and gear in them. I am not very tall, 5' 5" and I have a hard time adjusting our GMC vans to fit me. I can barely reach the pedals when I'm a comfortable distance from the wheel, they just fit me wrong.
What year is the GMC Savanna? We have a 2008, and I am about that height also. My seat adjusts height wise, incline wise, you can angle it up and/or back, front back and I have no problems getting it to fit me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, we have a 2001 Chevy 15 passenger, named "Big Bertha" She now has 250k on her, and still has the original transmission, AMaZIng!!! When this one bites the dust, another Chevy will be in our future. I prefer the 15 passenger, b/c you can take out the back seat, as MyGloryLife mentioned, and have a huge cargo area. Which is awesome for travelling, or strollers, and whatever else you like to carry around Plus, we can add the seat when we need to tote extra people around. I have friends with the 12 pass. vans, and they can hardly fit a stroller in the back. I agree, that it is higher up. But our Chevy gets the same gas mileage as our minivan did, and much better than my Dad's newer Ford Expedition. Ours being a one ton vehicle has never been a problem.
Hannah- married to M for 14 yrs: Mama of 7 amazing children! Ages 13yrs down to 23mos And expecting #8 January 2014!!!
mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and, we pulled out our carpet, so now it is like the bed of a truck, loL! But I can actually take the seats out fairly easlily, and hose out/mop the van floor. Priceless!!!
Hannah- married to M for 14 yrs: Mama of 7 amazing children! Ages 13yrs down to 23mos And expecting #8 January 2014!!!
mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

We just bought a 12 passenger chevyexpress. It's been a learning curve after my odyssey but we are so glad to have it. My brother, who is a mechanic, said the chevy was more reliable than he ford transmission and dh agreed. Originally I thought i wanted the 15 pass. but again my brother chimed in and said they were more top heavy therefore less safe. Our auto insur. guy said the van we got was one of the safest. Again,I'm no expert, just repeating what I've heard. God orchestrated the whole process with ours and our children are thrilled to finally have enough room.

Sorry for typos, am on my tablet

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneduckstuck5 View Post
We just bought a 12 passenger chevyexpress. It's been a learning curve after my odyssey but we are so glad to have it. My brother, who is a mechanic, said the chevy was more reliable than he ford transmission and dh agreed. Originally I thought i wanted the 15 pass. but again my brother chimed in and said they were more top heavy therefore less safe. Our auto insur. guy said the van we got was one of the safest. Again,I'm no expert, just repeating what I've heard. God orchestrated the whole process with ours and our children are thrilled to finally have enough room.

Sorry for typos, am on my tablet
Thanks for sharing that. I've been thinking about the safety aspect of the 15-passenger and it does concern me.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.

Last edited by MakingHome; 04-28-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Clarity
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've got a GMC Savanna, 12 passenger. I'm 5'7" and find it quite comfortable to ride and drive. DH is 6'4" and he's happy too. I find it handles quite nicely, drives smoothly, and turns quite well, considering it's size. We test drove the 12 passenger Ford and it was a lot more like driving a tank. Much harder to turn and park, IMO, and ride didn't feel as nice.
Infant seats and carseats forward or rear-facing are no problem. Not all the benches have the latch system, but there are still plenty of options.
It's pretty good on gas, and we love the space! Whenever I look in a minivan or suburban now I can only think "Wow, are you guys squished in there!" I can get a stroller or grocery bins in the back no problem. Not tons of space, but enough.
It might not be as "cool" as a suburban, but it's a whole lot more practical and economical! Good luck with your search!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have had two 15 passenger vans. We bought the first one in 2001, it was a used 1996 Ford Club Wagon, purchased when we had 5 children. We loved it and drove it until it had over 200,000 miles. In 2010 we bought our second used Ford 15 passenger, a 2008. It is getting tight in there now.