Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #41
Dahlia64
Banned

Re: Help! Meals for big families...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasK View Post
I'm sure they would help since you mentioned u have little ones. Are the kids all yours and your dh's? Sometimes with blended families it can be complicated, my gf went to get assistance and her ex had already applied and been getting help the whole time.
They are all ours together..we are married and we've never applied for assistance so Im not sure if we would qualify or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Ours is $2000. $500 a week and that includes paper plates, cleaning spray/toilet cleaner/dishtabs and kitchen soap. We do 6 weekly meals (meat) with sides and 1 frozen or pasta meal.

When I lost my job we were at $1200 a month and we didnt eat so well.

Would you qualify for SNAP?
Not sure but thinking of applying

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
Why aren't you cooking under the broiler in your oven, the cheese burgers?
This is a very good idea mama..never thought of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
This is good advice.

Mama, it sounds like your kiddos are really taking advantage of you. You deserve much more than that. Nursing babies getting up- fine, but antsy toddlers waking in middle of the night getting snacks and drinks? I think something needs to change. You sound like you really cater to their wants and obviously, meet their needs. But is okay for them to understand that they can't have it all their way, all the time. Is this something you feel we can help you with?

I dont know. I just do what they ask. Sometimes I feel bad if I feel they dont get what they want..such as toddler number 4 waking and asking for food and drink..is this becuase he is hungry

Advertisement

Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I grew up in a family with 6 kids, the oldest and youngest were only 10 years apart so we had a lot of teenagers at one time. We ate a LOT of 'clean out the fridge stew.' What that meant was, whatever ever veggie was in the fridge with some meat (and probably some beans) in it. It could be anything from traditional potato, carrot, celery as the veggies to leftover corn, broccoli, etc. We ate it enough that many times it wasn't really cleaning out the fridge, it was just a planned dinner. Soups fill everyone up faster because of all the water in there.

As a side story: When I got married I found out my husband grew up draining the liquid off the Ramen noodles 'because it is salty.' When I grew up we would use half the seasoning packets to cut the salt, extra water and add a bag of frozen broccoli/veggies and eggs to the pot and it was dinner.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #43
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia64 View Post

They are all ours together..we are married and we've never applied for assistance so Im not sure if we would qualify or not

Not sure but thinking of applying

This is a very good idea mama..never thought of it

I dont know. I just do what they ask. Sometimes I feel bad if I feel they dont get what they want..such as toddler number 4 waking and asking for food and drink..is this becuase he is hungry
If he had a good dinner, then he's not hungry. Remember your raising adults, not children. I don't get up at night and eat and watch tv, lol. He needs solid sleep so its not healthy for him to be waking at night.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
I grew up in a family with 6 kids, the oldest and youngest were only 10 years apart so we had a lot of teenagers at one time. We ate a LOT of 'clean out the fridge stew.' What that meant was, whatever ever veggie was in the fridge with some meat (and probably some beans) in it. It could be anything from traditional potato, carrot, celery as the veggies to leftover corn, broccoli, etc. We ate it enough that many times it wasn't really cleaning out the fridge, it was just a planned dinner. Soups fill everyone up faster because of all the water in there.

As a side story: When I got married I found out my husband grew up draining the liquid off the Ramen noodles 'because it is salty.' When I grew up we would use half the seasoning packets to cut the salt, extra water and add a bag of frozen broccoli/veggies and eggs to the pot and it was dinner.
We do this too! With the ramen and soup. I often times make soups for lunch made up of what little leftovers there are from the night before.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #45
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
We eat a lot of soups, stews, and casseroles. These meals are ones in which I can make meat last longer without any noticable difference. We only have 3 kids but my meals are made to have left overs so can typically feed between 10-12 adults. For example spaghetti I make from scratch using canned tomatoes. I use 1lb of turkey sausage to 60oz of crushed tomatoes, 30 oz of diced tomatoes, 16 oz of tomatoe sauce and 14 oz of tomato paste. Then I use my own seasoning mix and about 1-2 whole garlic bulbs crushed. I made this for dinner thursday. My kids and husband took leftovers to work and school. My toddler and I used the sauce to make pizza bread for lunch Friday. Today(saturday)my kids and I had spaghetti for lunch. The remainder of the sauce will be frozen for a future meal. Possibly even be used for homemade pizza. I usually try to make homemade garlic bread to go along with this but got lazy and didn't make it this time. When I do 2 loaves are usually gone within 24 hours. I usually use a recipe in Bread in Five Minutes a Day and add in 2 bulbs of crushed garlic when mixing up the dough. Then before baking I lightly coat it with olive oil and generously sprinkle on Italian seasonings(my mix). Then I pat it on gently to insure at least some sticks. Had I made the bread I would now have much more sauce to freeze than I do have. I don't add salad to my spaghetti typically because salad makings tend to get expensive.

Some meals I like for making meat last are lentil stew, barley stew, split pea soup. I love chilli as I have made a large pot of chilli last 4 meals with left overs for us.

I make sure when I make chili I make at least 2 gallons of chilli. I bought a large 3 gallon pot just for this purpose. Then we have chilli for dinner and left overs for lunch. The next time I serve it I will add in pasta and top with cheese. We will have this for dinner and again for the next days lunch. The next time I served it up I expanded the meal with a vege mixed along with some more cheese topped it with a corn bread dough and baked it up and called it chilli pot pie. We ate this again for dinner and then again for lunch the next day. However we did not do this consecutively. After each meal I froze or refrigerated the meal. The chilli I froze in meal sized portions. So some packages of chili I mad e smaller as I knew I would be adding to it. The left overs from those meals I refrigerated and used within a few days. By the third change up of the same meal the kids were actually pretty tickled at the idea of having the same meal but different enough even my picky husband would eat it without complaint.

My husband loves beef. As I am sure you are already aware steak isn't exaclty cheap. So to accomodate his preferences I will hunt out any sales or discounts and occasionally buy steak just for him. He works to provide the food so I make sure he gets what he wants at least every now and then. Even if this means I must cook 2 meals for dinner that day. If the kids complain they don't get the steak I tell them they can have the steak when they are working for a paycheck. I know sometimes my husband feels like he is working for nothing. The occasional steak makes him feel like he is special and appreciated and his work isn't for nothing.
This was helpful to me. :-)

Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #46
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

To bulk up a meal, bake a bread- we love garlic bread- I get a whole loaf for about $2. Very filling. Also stock the freezer with lean cuisine meals like Swedish meatballs or enchiladas. You can have a meal for yourself in 3 minutes. I save those for myself as emergency meals. Mama has to eat! Make sure you're taking a multivitamin too. Your family needs you energetic and healthy. Their lives will be better too and you'll be able to think clearer. I always cook triple size dinners and we eat it for lunch the next day and even dinner again. That way if a surprise guest comes for dinner you always have plenty as well. If the kids are still hungry- have some pbj sandwiches handy. Pastas are filling and they sell whole wheat pasta too. My kids even like green pasta (spinach). Serving icecream as dessert is filling too and not too unhealthy. I've even served popcorn with an after dinner movie to make sure the kids were full enough for bed.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #47
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Are you opposed to meatless meals? We do a lot of meatless meals here,because of our budget and health concerns. I feed our family of 6 big eaters on $400 a month. Beans and rice are cheap compared to meat. We eat a lot of black bean burgers,lentil loaf(meatloaf)sweet potato curry over rice. The kids like it all and I can make twice as much,at least,so we freeze the leftovers are eat them again later in the week.
If you have to eat meat in each meal look at meat stretchers. I add 1 cup of oatmeal for each pound of meat when I make tacos,or you can add a cup of cooked lentils for each pond of ground meat. Rice is great in meatballs and when I make meatsballs then are equal amounts of meat and cooked rice.
There is a lot you can do to stretch what you have,you just need to have a little creativity
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Op, sorry if this was asked, but do you have a garden? Also, what about Costco or SAMs Club?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #49
KellylynnC
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pound out the chicken breasts and maybe stuff them with a meat and cheese. If you pound them out, th ey tend to look bigger and go farther. We do alot of casserole s in our house. Little meat and more veggies and pasta
KellylynnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #50
xiovel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
We eat a lot of soups, stews, and casseroles. These meals are ones in which I can make meat last longer without any noticeable difference.
This.

Potato soup is filling and fairly cheap, and goes a long way. A gallon of milk, some chicken stock (to stretch it out, you can use more stock and less milk if you'd like), a bag of potatoes, a stick of butter, 1/2 cup of flour, 16oz of cheddar cheese, some spices (salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic) and a bit of bacon (optional). You can add carrots and celery as well to stretch it further. It makes a decent sized amount, is yummy and filling. Pair it with some bread and a salad and you've got a great meal that isn't very expensive. Fed 3 adults, 3 kids, had some myself for lunch twice and still have a tiny bit leftover.

Spaghetti with sauce is also pretty cheap. You don't have to add individual meatballs, just mix in a bit of ground beef into the sauce and pour a bit of sauce over everyone's noodles. You can often find pasta boxes on sale for $1 or less, it doesn't have to be actual spaghetti pasta. I get whatever's on sale. Red sauce is pretty cheap as well, or you can make your own fairly easy. Pair it with some bread and a salad as well to stretch it out.

French toast casserole is easy, cheap and also makes a good amount. Loaves of french bread (you can use day old bread that stores usually have marked down), milk, eggs, a bit of vanilla, some sugar and cinnamon. I just made some the other day and we still have leftovers! I used 2 loaves, 8 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 1/2 cup of heavy cream (you can leave it out if you'd like), 3/4 cups of sugar, and 2 tbs of vanilla. For the topping: 1/2 cup all-purpose four, 1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of salt, 1 stick of cold butter and you can add fruits/nuts if you'd like. Not too bad budget-wise and it's very yummy! I fed 3 adults and 3 kids, and still have some leftovers!

My kids and DH are picky so it's oftentimes hard for me to find recipes to help stretch my budget, but there are certainly some out there. And this mama definitely makes sure to eat, I'm pregnant and get very unpleasant to be around with if I'm starving. Food is cooked all at once, plates are served all at the same time, passed out once all are served up, and everyone sits down to eat at the same time. I used to do the "DH first, then each kid.." thing, but it took forever and by the time I was done with everyone else I was too tired to fix myself a plate and ended up hungry later on. I can't be doing that since I'm pregnant, baby needs to be fed as well
xiovel is offline   Reply With Quote