Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Cata
Registered Users

My Mood:
Auntie's milk for my preemie niece?

Hi ladies,

I have a 1 week old 3.9 lbs niece, she was born at 36 weeks but my SIL apparently had preeclampsia that was not detected on time.

She had a very healthy pregnancy and took good care of herself, so my niece is healthy but needs to gain weight and is currently at the NICU. My SIL goes to the hospital twice a day to see her and feed her as she cannot stay there all the time, she tries pumping but can barely get any milk out, her supply has been increasing slowly.

In the mean time I offered my milk so they don't give the baby formula, now in our hospitals here this is not allowed ( I am in Costa Rica) is either the mom's milk or formula so she had to lie and say it was her milk.

My concern is that my milk is not as yellow anymore, is completely white, my chubby boy is 4 months old and 20 pounds so I guess he doesn't need yellow milk anymore, do you think is it better for my niece to get my milk or the formula from the hospital? she is still getting her mommy's milk twice a day, we just need her to gain weight to bring her home

Thank you ladies!

Advertisement

Cata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Justplaintiffany
Registered Users

Re: Auntie's milk for my preemie niece?

There are a donor milk programs for mothers who can't supply enough milk for their baby. Living human milk is better for a baby even if it has been frozen or donated than formula. Milk has so many advantages over formula that can't be replicated.
Justplaintiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Cata
Registered Users

My Mood:

Alrighty, I really hate formula and my SIL after hearing me talking about it seems to hate it too so we are trying to exclusively BF, I'm sure her supply will increase once my niece is home
Cata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
cbreeding
Registered Users

First, mom's milk straight from the tap.
Second, mom's pumped milk
Third, milk from another woman
Fourth, formula

Even though your milk will not have the colostrum, it will still be better than formula. It is a WHOLE food with many, many beneficial things that formula doesn't have. If SIL is happy to receive it and use it, then continue on doing what your doing.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Donor milk is usually that white milk from moms of older babies so it would be similar to yours. I would say ask the hospital if it is okay, it might be.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am so glad your doing this so nice of you!! And I a happy she is accepting your liquid gold!!

My SIL said no to mine & gave her baby formula instead. I felt so rejected lol

Oh well. Last time I saw her she told me that her dd has been on 8 different rounds of antibiotics in her short 5 month life for various reasons.

Dd has only been sick once (knock in wood) & didn't require antibiotics and she is 8 months.

Can't help but wonder if she would have gotten that sick had she had some liquid gold.

Hugs mama so very generous of you!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

Auntie's milk, of course! So awesome for you to do this for your niece.
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

AUntie's milk all.the.way!

A friend of mine's sister had her baby early and was trying to pump but not getting anything, so my friend offered to pump some for him. The hossy was shocked and said "But it isn't colustrum. We're just going to give him formula" and the mom and my friend both started scratching their heads wondering why the formula would be better than auntie milk. In the end they were able to get aunt's milk only for baby until mama's milk came in and at 1 he is a big healthy boy.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's so nice of you! My niece is 2 months younger than my DD and I give her my milk sometimes too.

I also hope that Mom will try to keep nursing as well, so that her supply will be enough for baby once she can latch on.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cata how is your niece?
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote